Poll for my group: Magic Missile

What should be done with "Magic Missile"

• It should be made a full-round spell.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • It should have a material component (example: 1 sp per missile)

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • It should be made a 2nd level spell.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • It should be banned.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Why change it? It's good and balanced as is.

Votes: 43 71.7%
  • Significant Other. Please specify.

Votes: 3 5.0%

Terraism

Explorer
I agree that changing it overmuch is damaging a sacred cow... and, besides - I like Magic Missile. However, I also like the idea of 1 sp per casting - on little material component wouldn't be that big a deal, but it WOULD limit it, even a little...

Acmite

First Post
I'm glad to see my suggestion of changing the range to Close has some proponents....but I stand by my opinion that it doesn't really need to be fixed at all.

Colour spray is a very nice spell, after all. Should we change this one as well? ;)

As far as second level goes, ever since 1e I've always looked at it as the "utility" level. This is where you find: invisibility, knock, alter self, wizard (arcane) lock, web, see invisibility, daylight/darkness, blur and mirror image, levitate, etc. This spell level isn't about direct damage. I don't know if that was the original intent, but it certainly has impressed itself upon me that way.

The wizard (and sorceror) recieves a huge jump in direct damage ability with 3rd level spells. Need every level be concerned with direct damage?

I say leave MM at first level where it belongs. But if you must change it, drop the range to Close....any other option severly weakens it compared to Colour Spray.

Here's my two copper for the pot.

Acmite

Darklone

MM

Well. It IS a sacred cow.

Only thing I mentioned (several times):

I understood the third edition as well balanced. Spells are easily divided:

- spell has an area effect: you get a refl save
- spell has to hit: no save (except for fort saves against additional effects, e.g. soundburst)
- spell targets the mind of will: will save.

Since Magic Missile and several spells from additional books don't fit in there... I don't like them. Simply give a mage those orbs from Tome&Blood for example gives them a nice spell against spelldodgers with evasion.

There are sooo many nice 1st level spells in other books. I use them.

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
I disagree with changing it. It's slightly better than most of the 1st level spells, but you can say that about other spells on other levels as well. It's a nice little spell, but it's hardly neccessary to "balance" it.

Remove ads