• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll - I'm over 25 and I've read....

I've read books from the following authors:

• Dan Abnett

Votes: 53 12.5%
  • Lloyd Alexander

Votes: 138 32.5%
  • Poul Anderson

Votes: 190 44.8%
  • Terry Brooks

Votes: 281 66.3%
  • Jim Butcher

Votes: 110 25.9%
  • R. Scott Bakker

Votes: 41 9.7%
  • Glen Cook

Votes: 169 39.9%
  • Susan Cooper

Votes: 76 17.9%
  • Lord Dunsany

Votes: 108 25.5%
  • Charles De Lint

Votes: 102 24.1%
  • David Eddings

Votes: 248 58.5%
  • Steven Erikson

Votes: 90 21.2%
  • David Farland

Votes: 40 9.4%
  • Neil Gaiman

Votes: 285 67.2%
  • Alan Garner

Votes: 22 5.2%
  • Gary Gygax

Votes: 246 58.0%
  • Hickman & Weis

Votes: 325 76.7%
  • Robert Howard

Votes: 279 65.8%
  • Frank Herbert

Votes: 305 71.9%
  • Robin Hobb

Votes: 115 27.1%
  • Robert Jordan

Votes: 278 65.6%
  • Brian Jacques

Votes: 90 21.2%
  • Diana Wynne Jones

Votes: 56 13.2%
  • Katherine Kurtz

Votes: 131 30.9%
  • William King

Votes: 34 8.0%
  • Mercedes Lackey

Votes: 154 36.3%
  • Fritz Leiber

Votes: 266 62.7%
  • H.P. Lovecraft

Votes: 316 74.5%
  • Stephen Lawhead

Votes: 92 21.7%
  • George r.r. Martin

Votes: 258 60.8%
  • Michael Moorcock

Votes: 273 64.4%
  • William Morris

Votes: 26 6.1%
  • China Mieville

Votes: 115 27.1%
  • Andre Norton

Votes: 155 36.6%
  • Terry Pratchett

Votes: 264 62.3%
  • J. K. Rowlings

Votes: 278 65.6%
  • Sean Russell

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • Mickey Zucker Reichert

Votes: 29 6.8%
  • R.A. Salvatore

Votes: 296 69.8%
  • J. R. R. Tolkien

Votes: 406 95.8%
  • Jack Vance

Votes: 191 45.0%
  • Paul Edwin Zimmer

Votes: 26 6.1%
  • I'm 25 or younger

Votes: 17 4.0%

• Poll closed .
Charles De Lint is one of my favorites...
Honestly started my whole leap into fantasy novels with Weis and Hickman and Gary Gygax's Gord the Rogue series...

Baron Opal

First Post
You're missing Gene Wolfe, author of, among other things, The Book of the New Sun, which is one of the best fantasy sequences (unless it's really SF), ever written.

Really? It is certainly interesting; the world has layers of complexity, magic and technology overlap, the characterizations are good. But, it seems that Gene deliberatly made the story difficult to understand.

I guess I'll be in the minority and say thanks for a thorough poll!! ;)

Of course, even as long as this list is, there's got to be at least this many more that could be listed as well. However, I have my doubts that any more than 1 or 2 of them would rank higher than the top 50% listed, which is really where the interesting results are.

Although the top choices are probably not surprising if you think about it, since popular, well-known authors are... well, popular and well-known.

But comparing the two polls (under 25 and over 25), it is nice to see that Tolkein is tops in both. Even if in my gaming I like to branch away from the traditional Tolkein-esque fantasy, it's still good that some classics are eternal.

Plus the biggest difference between the two poll results (at least as of now), is the older than 25 year olds appear to be wider read. Not too different in relative popularity, but the individual percentages are quite higher for the older crowd. None of the authors dropped in percentage and several (Vance, Leiber, Howard, Moorcock, and Brooks) had huge percentage jumps of 26-37% with the older crowd.

The largest differences in relative popularity are Pratchett does much better (relative to other authors) among the younger crowd at #3 author to #7 wth the older, and Leiber does better among the older rising from #8 to #5. The rest are within a place or two with Tolkein and Rowlings #1 and 2 in both. (Again, at least of the standings right now, but once it gets close to or over 100 voters, these polls don't shift very often.)

Fun stuff!

Last edited:

Ariosto

First Post
David Drake's Lord of the Isles series is the first "epic" fantasy really to capture my attention since The Lord of the Rings. That it has run to so many volumes suggests that it has a wider audience as well. Although one chapter after another suggests a D&D scenario to me, it does not feel like game-informed fiction. It's more like picking up Fritz Leiber's tales of his duo's adventures and misadventures and recognizing an aesthetic in common with the game. One would like one's campaign to be so vibrant, and might even imagine particular players in the roles!

The Recluse series, by L.E. Modesitt, Jr., is another notable work of recent years. I had some difficulty getting into it at first due to a mismatch of the writer's style with my taste -- and the first volume may not actually be the best point of entry -- but it has turned out to be rich in pleasures. The title of one volume, The Magic Engineer, suggests one aspect of the flavor.

As Tor publishes both series, I wonder whether their exposure to those who are not also fans of science fiction has perhaps been less than warranted.

drothgery

First Post
Along with others mentioned as missing...

Naomi Novik
Brandon Sanderson
Jacqueline Carey
Tad Williams

... and a couple of people who are better known for sci-fi, but have written some good fantasy
David Weber (Bezhell and Hell's Gate are pure fantasy; the Safehold books are fantasy-esque sci-fi)
Lois McMaster Bujold (the Chalion books and the Sharing Knife books)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads