• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Poll) Metric or Imperial

Metric or Imperial

• Poll closed .

Fetfreak

First Post
I'm working on a starter edition of my game and I don't know if I should use metric or imperial system for measurements.
I personally use the metric system but hopefully I'm not the only one who is going to play it.

-I'm sorry if there were threads such as this one before, I wasn't able to find them.

Last edited:

RSKennan

Explorer
I live in the US, but I prefer metric for game mechanics. It's more logical.

Edit: And if you base distances on meters, it's easy enough to tell the reader to pretend you said "yards".

Ahnehnois

First Post
I wouldn't be overly worried about being exclusionary. A lot of D&D people are relatively intellectual or into science and are used to dealing with metric. Anyone living outside the US pretty much uses metric. The meters to yards conversion is easy enough.

Janx

Hero
I should think you'd be looking at several factors:

audience
setting

If your audience is american, or your setting is "american" than feet and inches it is.

If you're doing a sci-fi or non-american setting, Meters for everybody.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I live in real life, and my real life is measured imperial. For me, the metric system is almost meaningless. It's like a foreign language for which I know only the most basic of phrases.

I'm familiar with both but metric makes the most sense in the real world. It's easier to use, it's more logical and it's easier to do calculations involving metric measurements because they're already in base 10.

Of course, I understand that living in the USA means you're not really exposed to the metric system.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Of course, I understand that living in the USA means you're not really exposed to the metric system.
What, you've never bought a 2-liter bottle of soda? Never read a food label that expressed nutrients in grams? I mean, you're preferentially exposed to imperial measurements, but most people have some experience with metric.

And, in a gaming context, I'd be far less put off by distances measured in meters than in "squares".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads