• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

POLL: New board for PrCs & class variants?

Should there be a separate board for PrC & variant core class ideas?

• Definitely! Your idea is a stroke of unquestionable brilliance!

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • No way! It's a terrible thought, you unmitigated fool.

Votes: 20 52.6%

Dagredhel

Explorer
The following is the preface to a poll I posted on the House Rules board.

"Hi everyone. I recently sent along an email to one of this board's moderators. Below is the body of the message:

'I've noticed that PrCs don't get all that much attention on the House Rules board, and quickly end up getting lost in the shuffle. Having come across a few posts that are equal if not superior both conceptually and in execution to the official WOTC PrCs, I'm hoping that something can be done to remedy this situation. Is there any chance that a separate Class (or even specifically Prestige Class) board could be set up? I for one think it would
be a worthy endeavor, and wouldn't mind lending a hand."

The moderator was kind enough to pass along my question to Morrus, whose response was to suggest I post a poll to determine if there was enough interest to make it worthwhile.

So, what do you think?' "

Thus far, opinion is evenly divided after 30 votes. I'm looking for additional feedback, so I figured I'd repost in this forum. (If you're interested in reading respondents comments, take a look at the thread over on the House Rules board.)

Thanks!

--- Dagredhel (the Longwinded?)

corndog

First Post
If posts on this topic don't 'get all that much attention' on the house rules forum, as you put it, why would they warrant their own board? A new board should be created to give a high traffic topic room to breathe, or to take a topic out of a forum it really has no business being in. IMO, Prestige Classes don't fit either reason yet.

MonkeyBoy

First Post
take the alternate view...

.. So that those of us who end up wading through the 10 billion "I changed one feat for a ranger, why won't anyone comment on my kewl new class?" or "my new PrC to allow me to get X bonuses while ignoring Y penalties - do you think its balanced?" threads, don't have to any more :D

bret

First Post
What is unques?

As for why a separate board, it makes it easier for everyone. Sometimes people want to look for varient class ideas, so with a separate board it is easy to find them. The flip side being that those who are not interested in the topic have one less thing that fills the general or house rules boards.

NiTessine

Explorer
The way I'd do it would be to compress some low-traffic boards together and add a few more.
Whereabouts and Plots are deader than a destroyed lich, most of the time, so they could be melded together. I think Creature Catalog could do well with only two boards, too (sorry, Scott). However, I've noticed that miniatures have been getting much attention here lately, enough to warrant their own board. Same for the PrCs, probably.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
First, this should have gone in the Meta Forum.

From what I have seen, creating a new forum generally does not increase traffic on the topic in question. If anything it decreases traffic, as the topic tends to be "out of sight, out of mind". People will usually forget the new forum exists, or feel their idea won't get seen, and post in House Rules anyway.

You have given yourself a good example of why not to create a new low-traffic forum in this very thread. Did you go to the proper-topic forum for it? If you yourself won't post a meta-topic in the Meta Forum, why do you think people will go to your new forum to post PrC classes?

Dagredhel

Explorer
bret said:
What is unques?

The first choice of responses was supposed to read, "Definitely! Your idea is a stroke of unquestionable brilliance!" I noticed the error as soon as the poll was posted, and I've asked one of the moderators to fix it. Sorry.

Dagredhel

Explorer
Umbran said:
First, this should have gone in the Meta Forum.

From what I have seen, creating a new forum generally does not increase traffic on the topic in question. If anything it decreases traffic, as the topic tends to be "out of sight, out of mind". People will usually forget the new forum exists, or feel their idea won't get seen, and post in House Rules anyway.

You have given yourself a good example of why not to create a new low-traffic forum in this very thread. Did you go to the proper-topic forum for it? If you yourself won't post a meta-topic in the Meta Forum, why do you think people will go to your new forum to post PrC classes?

I may have been out of line to post here; I don't know, admittedly. My interest has mainly been with House Rules, and obviously I have a particular liking for original PrCs and variant core classes. While I do apologize for my ignorance and for my indiscretion, if that is what it is, my intention was to get a wider sampling of opinion, and this board seemed like a good place to do it. Certainly, it has drawn a greater response, so I do feel somewhat justified, even if I was a bit out of line.

But I don't think your analogy holds true, regardless. If it proves that there is sufficient interest, as the polling is meant to test, then I believe a separate board would be justified. There are plenty of you Lawful types around, after all, to help redirect wayward postings and keep the boards from devolving towards Chaos.

You have provided me an excellent example.

Thanks! ;)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Dagredhel said:

I may have been out of line to post here; I don't know, admittedly.

It really isn't a matter of being "out of line". It is not my place to scold. I was simply stating the fact that there was a Forum specifically for such things, and suggested that you were fitting a pattern - if the proper forum for a post is low-traffic, people tend not to use it.

Certainly, it has drawn a greater response, so I do feel somewhat justified, even if I was a bit out of line.

Ah, yes, the ends justifies the means. Where have I heard that before? :) This attitude is common, and I again suggest that it doesn't bode well for your forum - other people will tend to approach Prestige Classes as you approached this poll. If it is best to have this discussion in general because more people will see it, by the same logic, it is best to keep those prestige classes and the like in House Rules, where they will be seen more.

Remove ads