• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll on starting ages for RPG?

Animus

Explorer
Hello,

Has there ever been a poll done here that surveyed what age people were when they started or were first exposed to RPGs? Thanks.

edemaitre

Explorer
Starting ages

I started role-playing with the D&D boxed set back in 1982. I was 13. In the years since, the gamers in my campaigns have ranged in age from 12 to 45, with the average slowly climbing to about 35 as I've gotten older. Still, I've had the 70+ parents of players sit in on sessions, as well as the toddler children of other players!

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I was first exposed in 7th grade. To what, I dread to say. An old enemy of mine offered me an unusual piece of literature in the back of our 5th period science class for only $5 bucks. He made the sale. Even then this poor soul, unfortunately named exactly as an unpopular president of the time, was firmly set in my mind as someone not to be trusted. You see, he had taken my Crayola 64 set and my super-sized eraser back in kindergarten and had never given them back. A kid doesn't forget that sort of thing. And certainly not by age 12. But I had heard of this strange game and the old wizard on the cover looked intriguing, so I coughed up the dough.

For the next three months I would secretly read that book, Unearthed Arcana, under blanket cover after bedtime. I also wondered how the hell this was a game. Not understanding any of it, the arcane minutia and seemingly haphazard inclusion of gaming material gave off the aura of an eldritch cryptogram. *I* may not know how this game was played, but there were others out there who did. Sadly, my parents found the book and destroyed it (marking a long tradition in my household of destroying D&D books), but somehow I mustered on.

It was two more years before I found a friend who wanted to play. That was when Second Edition came on the scene "And on the 3651st day we rested..." It wasn't as cool as I had hoped, but we really didn't care. I could only play under false pretenses anyways, so I never really got tired of it. It was all wanting and infrequent, often confusing payoff. Not until college really did I get to play in a game that made much sense. And there I was joining a long term high school group turned college buddies from the area. Townies, I guess. But it worked out in the end. I finally managed to figure out how this game works. ...or at least I did until I read another RPG and had to figure it all out again.

Remove ads