• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll/petition Sign the "KEEP DRAGON MAGAZINE' poll/petition

Sign petition by quoting second post - Would you prefer

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Nightfall said:
The Thayan is correct. WotC already made their choice. This like closing the barn door after the cows left, the goblins burned it down, and then for kicks urinated on the embers for you.

Er, I'm not sure how to respond to that.

Well, WOTC is wrong, just look at the poll. Granted it is a small sampling, but even out of that small sampling (and yes I know it is very small so far compared to how many people are on this board) it already suggest that 80% want it at least left the way it was.

Why WOTC would want to ruin a good thing I will never understand.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Cause WotC upper management wants to rule the universe through the Internet and turn us gamers into batteries!! :p ;)

ssampier

First Post
DM-Rocco said:
None, and that is why they are working. I have had subscriptions to every Magic the Gathering Magazine there was and none lasted longer than a few years at most, Duelist being the longest.

It is just a prediction on my part, WOTC was, still is and always be a Card company first and a role-playing company second.

I would generally agree with that last statement - I personally change it to a card and miniatures company first. Don't forget that Wizard's RPG "second business" is still significantly larger than many of the other RPG companies around.

Festivus

First Post
I voted other:

1. I am interested to see how Paizo does with unbridled writing. No longer does their content have to cross the desk at WoTC... this could be really good. From the previews I have seen at Paizo, I have little doubt it is going to be some top notch stuff.

2. I am interested in seeing this new Digital Initiative world. As long as I have an option to print whatever I bought I am fine with it. There are some really nice enhancements you get when going digital... most that likely have work around out there but none are "official". I anticipate similar levels of content to what we were seeing in Dungeon and Dragon, only more timely, and with nice bonus features... imagine scaling an adventure with a click of a button.

3. Change is good, technology is even better. I see stagnation all the time at my work, and when I come into a department that has been doing the same thing for 20 years because that's the way it's always been done, the first thing I think of is how can we leverage computers to make things more efficient? Of course, I work in IT and would naturally think of that :)

Yeah, I will miss Dungeon and Dragon after the September issues arrive, but that shock has worn off me now, and I am looking forward to the future.

Arkhandus

First Post
The magazines aren't going to be saved. And the changes in the magazine industry/distribution recently, along with the decline of physical game stores and the way gaming materials are handled by the big book stores and online ones, are likely to prevent a new one from rising in Dragon's/Dungeon's place, at least not for terribly long. This is what I predict anyway.

I'd certainly love to see the magazines remain in print, but it's not happening. Pathfinder is likely to be the closest thing to that sort of media we'll get (though my preference to run more freeform/homebrewed adventures means I won't be picking up Pathfinder myself). And I hope it does well. But Wizards is determined to make their Digital Initiative the only source for D&D content outside of actual, expensive game books and the occasional printed module. Not exactly the most portable or versatile reading material in gaming. -_-

I have little desire to bother with online content of that sort, but I'm not the majority demographic; I actually like printed books and magazines as a convenient medium, and I don't have a Palm Pilot or other thing to read digital crud while I'm away from the computer. I also have no desire to spend more time than I already do in front of computer screens. Print materials are easier on my eyes and a nice change of pace from the daily routine of staring at a glowing monitor while sitting on my rump.

I can read magazines on the bus or on the plane, or while someone else in the family is using the computer. But with Dragon going away and being absorbed into the Digital Initiative, my last 'zine of choice will be gone, and I'll have no more magazines to read; I'm not particularly interested in the few other, lesser choices out there, I have no reason to buy video game or anime related magazines, and I don't care for any other kinds of 'zine.

Anyway, Dragon and Dungeon are going. However much outrage the magazine-buying gamers may release, Wizards will still probably make more money from legions of folks who will shell out moolah for intangible, digital content that's cheaper for Wizards to produce in the first place.

'twould be nice if nanotechnology got really advanced really soon, though, so we could have cheap PDA-type devices to carry around that could wirelessly download articles and display them on a nice, non-glowing, easy-on-the-eyes screen of simple plastic, covering a nanite colony that adjusts its positioning to display nearly as well as a pixelated monitor.

Klaus Marx

First Post
My two cents on the subject is that WoTC are going to regret their descission i a few years, since an on-line version of DRAGON will lose much of its appeal, simply because there is nothing better than a mag. The feel of it, the easy browsing, the fact that you can bring it on your travels, the easy access.
I have bought a few PDF roleplaying accessories and it always bugs me that I have to turn on my computer when I want to have a look at its contents. A printed version is always better...unless one focuses on size and weight :D

The descission to stop printing Dragon and Dungeon is going to leave a huge vacuum in the gaming market and some of the smaller companies out there must be ecstatic. Suddenly their mag may make it to the top.
I doubt that I will ever buy more than a very few on-line mag from WoTC but time may prove me wrong

Seeker95

First Post
DM-Rocco said:
Well, WOTC is wrong, just look at the poll. Granted it is a small sampling, but even out of that small sampling (and yes I know it is very small so far compared to how many people are on this board) it already suggest that 80% want it at least left the way it was.
Rewritten for accuracy:
Well, WotC is not doing what I want. Just look at the poll of ENWorld poll responders. Granted, it is a skewed, opt-in, ask-in-passion, niche sampling, but even out of this very small, relatively homogenous sampling, there are still differences of opinion. It suggests that at least 80% of the traditionally say-nothing-positive-about-WotC crowd, 80% want something contrary to the decision WotC has made.
DM-Rocco said:
Why WOTC would want to ruin a good thing I will never understand.
I believe you.

Remove ads