• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll/petition Sign the "KEEP DRAGON MAGAZINE' poll/petition

Sign petition by quoting second post - Would you prefer

Vigilance

Explorer
Raven Crowking said:
:confused:

Look, I have dozens....hundreds....of pdfs, including of my house rules. I don't read any of them online. They all get printed out. Yet I am willing to read message boards. There is a very, very big difference.

Reading and playing videogames aren't the same thing at all. No more than reading and watching TV are the same thing.

Would it have helped if he had been more explicit and wrote "I can't stand reading huge chunks of text online, supposedly for pleasure, when there are alternative ways I could be spending my time, even if those ways have nothing to do with WotC products"?

I call shenanigans on your response. :lol:

The man made an online petition... to protest something going online.

Really kind of speaks for itself doesn't it. It's absurd on so many levels.

Look, I can see being against this change. But if you're not letting your feelings be known through the old media you supposedly support, then you're just not going to be heard.

You know, a real petition, a mass influx of physical, paper letters, that sort of thing.

WOTC has made this move because they think paper is the past, and digital the future.

If you respond DIGITALLY to that assumption, don't expect to convince them that paper isn't dead. Only paper can make that point.

Mercule

Adventurer
Anti-Sean said:
I'm going to log into WotC's DI at the end of each month, print out the articles, forums posts, etc. from that month, staple them into a format resembling a magazine and read them that way. Sure, it might not be *exactly* like the old days, but I'll take what I can get.

I'm going to open them up on my tablet PC and lounge on the sofa, just like I do now.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Other - I would prefer an online solution with an optional print version on a quarterly basis (rather than the yearly basis I think they are going with).

Raven Crowking

First Post
Vigilance said:
The man made an online petition... to protest something going online.

Really kind of speaks for itself doesn't it. It's absurd on so many levels.

No, it doesn't. No, it isn't.

I think that A is appropriate online, but B is not.

I think that reading about D&D online is fun, but I'd rather not only be able to play online.

If DM-Rocco said nothing should go online, then an online petition would, indeed, be ironic. However, saying Dragon and Dungeon shouldn't go online is not the same thing.

WOTC has made this move because they think paper is the past, and digital the future.

Maybe. Maybe not. There's a lot of theories out there, including some from people who should know a lot more than you or I. Personally, the Official Reasoning doesn't make sense to me.

In any event, this is the Internet. People blow off steam. I see no harm in letting the man mourn his loss. Do you?

CarlZog

Explorer
Raven Crowking said:
If I were to be completely honest, I'd rather see EN World Gamer prosper than Dragon. Reading Monte Cook's comments made me realize just how much I miss the older magazine, with its "gamer community of equals" feel. EN World Gamer had that.

If Dragon ever does come back, I'd like it to go back to its roots. Of course, I'd like that for parts of the game as well. :heh:

Amen, brother. ENWorld Gamer (or rather "ENWorld Player's Journal", since I think more issues were published under that name) was awesome.

And I too liked Dragon a lot better in the early '80s when it covered a lot of different games and had much less of a "house organ" type feel to it.

Unfortunately, as others have pointed out in this thread and others on the topic, the print magazine business is brutal, especially when you're chasing an audience like ours that is already so webcentric.

Carl

Arkhandus

First Post
Wait, I'm a bit lost.....what is/was EN World Gamer? I'm never really up to date on what stuff's around in print cuz I don't care to read news very much.....

Brown Jenkin

First Post
CarlZog said:
Unfortunately, as others have pointed out in this thread and others on the topic, the print magazine business is brutal, especially when you're chasing an audience like ours that is already so webcentric.

Carl

Except that Paizo was doing fine in the print business with it and was willing to contnue. The reason to cancel had nothing to do with the profitability of the magazizes themselves but for some other reason that is not being divulged, which aparently has something to do with the DI and the best I can speculate that they feared that the DI couldn't compete.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
Except that Paizo was doing fine in the print business with it and was willing to contnue. The reason to cancel had nothing to do with the profitability of the magazizes themselves but for some other reason that is not being divulged, which aparently has something to do with the DI and the best I can speculate that they feared that the DI couldn't compete.

Seems the most likely reason to me as well, and I expect it will turn out to be true (it will not compete well). Which might have some serious long-term effects on our game.

Arkhandus, EN World Gamer/EN World Player's Journal was a cool b&w (colour covers) print mag put out be EN World Publishing. The best value for the buck in terms of d20 content, IMHO, and very reminiscent of early Dragon Magazine. I don't know if you can still get them from EN World, but I probably have some of the issues in stock (I can check for you this weekend, if you're interested).

The Faerie Encounters article linked in my sig was written for EN World Player's Journal, but the mag went bust, and it wound up posted here instead.

RC

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads