• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll: What is the best Warlock/Wizard implement? Orb/Staff/Rod/Wand?

Which Implement?

• Orb

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Staff

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Wand / Rod

Votes: 7 15.2%

Ninja-to

First Post
So I bought a pretty decent looking Tiefling Warlock/Wizard figure. Finally, the Reaper guys have started to ship PC class type minis with a *CHOICE* of implement/weapon. This particular Tiefling (they call them 'Hellsworn' I think, to avoid TM infringements...) came with:

Orb
Staff
Wand (or could be rod).

I'm thinking of making my next PC a Tiefling Warlock. I know it's cliche by now, but they're both a class/race I haven't tried yet. I may try a Tiefling Wizard someday, so that option is still open too.

So questions is, which do I glue and paint??

kaomera

Explorer
IMHO: Rod is more iconic for a Warlock, but whether that's a plus or a minus would be up to you. Staff is also a weapon, which could be nice, depending; but the staff (if I'm thinking of the same mini) is the least visually interesting. Orbs still seem kinda weird to me, personally...

Mechanically it won't matter much until you get a superior or magical implement. Superior you'd probably go with Accurate, otherwise rod does fire & necrotic, while staff and orb do psychic (depending on what flavor of Warlock you're going with). I'd take a look at the magic items available for each of the three, and see if any of them strike your fancy...

Obryn

Hero
Mechanically-speaking, Staff is the best-supported implement by a wide margin. The fact that it's also a weapon means that it's a valid target for Weapon Focus. Additionally, there's the Staff Fighting feat which (1) Gives you a handy +1 to AC, and (2) Makes it a double implement for Dual Implement Spellcaster. (Also, it means you have a good weapon in-hand for those rare OA's.) Finally, three words - Staff of Ruin.

With that said, you'd need to spend a feat to use it for a Warlock.

-O

Ninja-to

First Post
Mechanically-speaking, Staff is the best-supported implement by a wide margin. The fact that it's also a weapon means that it's a valid target for Weapon Focus. Additionally, there's the Staff Fighting feat which (1) Gives you a handy +1 to AC, and (2) Makes it a double implement for Dual Implement Spellcaster. (Also, it means you have a good weapon in-hand for those rare OA's.) Finally, three words - Staff of Ruin.

With that said, you'd need to spend a feat to use it for a Warlock.

-O

Can you use a feat to use a staff as an implement as a Warlock? If so I can't see which feat that would be. If someone could answer fairly quick it would be nice I"m rolling up my character now and we're starting in an hour...

DracoSuave

First Post
Can you use a feat to use a staff as an implement as a Warlock? If so I can't see which feat that would be. If someone could answer fairly quick it would be nice I"m rolling up my character now and we're starting in an hour...

Arcane Implement Proficiency.

Tho, if you're only level one making a Tiefling Warlock, you get more mileage out of Hellfire Blood, going Star Pact and picking up all the juicy Fear and Fire powers in the Warlock perview.

Then, an ashen rod, so you get +1 to attack reflex (which makes up for the difficulty in piercing it) and +2 to damage with fire powers, which combined with the above, gives you +2 to attack, and +3 to damage with your favorite element.

And you can still take versatile expertise, astral fire, and have all that stack on there as well.

Oh, and when you get to paragon, and all the fire-resistance pops out, you're fire, and fire is the best at piercing resistance with its feats.

Ninja-to

First Post
Arcane Implement Proficiency.

Tho, if you're only level one making a Tiefling Warlock, you get more mileage out of Hellfire Blood, going Star Pact and picking up all the juicy Fear and Fire powers in the Warlock perview.

Then, an ashen rod, so you get +1 to attack reflex (which makes up for the difficulty in piercing it) and +2 to damage with fire powers, which combined with the above, gives you +2 to attack, and +3 to damage with your favorite element.

And you can still take versatile expertise, astral fire, and have all that stack on there as well.

Oh, and when you get to paragon, and all the fire-resistance pops out, you're fire, and fire is the best at piercing resistance with its feats.

Am I stacking Cha or Con? It looks like 'Con' from the Star Pact abilities but then Fear and Fire stuff is Cha for the Encounter... omg.

Remove ads