• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll: Which Icons of Evil have Influenced Your Game's BBEG?

Which of these Villains have influenced the design of BBEGs in your game(s)?

• Skeletor (faceless foe of [I]He-Man[/I])

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • Cobra Commander ([I]Cobra[/I]'s maniacal masked mastermind)

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Megatron/Galvatron (power-hungry leader of the [I]Decepticons/Predacons[/I])

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Mumm-Ra (the [I]Thundercats[/I] ever-living foe)

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • Darth Vader ([I]Star Wars'[/I] infamous slayer of the Jedi)

Votes: 46 56.1%
  • Sauron ([I]the[/I] Lord of the Rings)

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Doctor Doom (foe of the [I]Fantastic Four[/I])

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Thulsa Doom (from [I]Conan the Barbarian[/I])

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • The Joker (anarchic archfoe of [I]Batman[/I])

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Loki (evil trickster half-brother of [I]The Mighty Thor[/I])

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Ares (from [I]Wonder Woman[/I] or [I]Hercules/Xena[/I])

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Set (either the Egyptian deity or the variant from [I]Conan[/I])

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • Tiamat (whether in the D&D cartoon, or as Takhesis in [I]Dragonlance[/I], she's ever the mean evil d

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Shredder (the [I]Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles[/I] armor-clad nasty ninja leader of the Foot)

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Other (Whether obscure leader or cool henchman, their evil has stuck with you forever)

Votes: 40 48.8%

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
s/LaSH said:
... because there are forces at work in my campaign that aren't as simple as Big Bad Guys. The march of science and hundred-year-old eugenic theory are as close as I can come without spoiling anything for my webcomic...

Ahhh, you have modelled your villain on Lee Kuan Yew! ;)

The_Gneech

Explorer
Harlock said:
Threadjack coming on strong. Being a big fan of BTiLC I have to ask, what system did you use for that game?

The one that had the biggest BTiLC influence, was the same Champions game that had the Joker in it, actually. :)

-The Gneech :cool:

MangahunterD

First Post
I am a more classic villian type guy where the main villian is typically not near as powerful as his minions. They are typically just very smart and extremely manipulitive in that they can alter events and throw people off the track.
This is usually the mad scientist type or the disrespected noble. There are tons of examples of this like Tyrion from the Martin books. He is weak and disfigured but very treacherous and highly intelligent. Read books on the War of the Roses and you can also find several true historical examples.
Of course the nasty brutal villian works well in some circumstances. However the ones I found that inspire the most fear are both cunning AND ruthless. One of the best examples I have seen in popular television recently was Angel in the BtVS series on TV when he was turned back in to Angelus (season 2). The stories they told of how he used to be were pretty inspiring for creating a wicked villian.
However like someone said earlier Evil is a state of mind. A majority of the evil people don't think that they are evil..... those are the ones that should scare you. If you want to see a great example of this.... well not great as in good... but as in accurate historically there is a book called "Hitler's Willing Executioners" which talks about how Hitler manipulated people in to commiting atrocious acts to other humans but convinced them in such a way that they didn't realize what they were doing was horrible.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads