• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll: Which Wizard 5th daily is best?

Best 5th level daily for wizards?

Shroomy

Adventurer
Wow, I can't remember the last time I saw EN World poll results that were this evenly divided, especially between 4 options!

ebenmckay

First Post
Bigby's Icy Grasp
-Pros: Sustainable, good for rooting an opponent you don't want to deal with in melee.
-Cons: Target is only immobilized, so no combat advantage vs. it. Target can escape easily enough, as the hand resists with a wizard's fortitude or reflex defense.
-Thoughts: Not digging this one so much. It might be better in a primarily ranged party.

Fireball
-Pros: It's flippin' FIREBALL man. Giant radius of effect. Half damage on a miss.
-Cons: Giant radius of effect (too easy to hit allies). No damage on a miss to minions, the most likely targets for such a large spell.
-Thoughts: This spell has a lot of star power, to me. But the hugeness both helps and hurts it, and the half damage on a miss is a flashy feature that doesn't really help it in its most likely application: killing lots of minions.

Stinking Cloud
-Pros: Mobile AoE damage effect, sustainable, auto-hits while being sustained, big (but not huge) radius
-Cons: Poison damage is highly resistable by a bulk of monsters, damage isn't as impressive as fireball
-Thoughts: This spell is nice. It does decent damage, is easily sustained, and can just sweep across a battlefield, popping minions like bugs. With a warlord/fighter/rogue sliding opponents left and right into it, or with it moving around the field and blocking avenues of attack for enemies, I see a world of fun in this spell. Useless against undead, but that's why I get two dailies (and hope I know when we're about to enter Deadville beforehand).

Web
-Pros: Big radius, don't have to sustain it, difficult terrain on demand
-Cons: Immobilizing effects are good for ranged heroes, not so much for melee. Web can get the fighter stuck just as easily as the guy he's tanking. Can't get rid of the Web early.
-Thoughts: On the first read I really liked this spell. If I was playing an orb wizard this would be hard to pass up. But considering how the enemy can use this against the party (running away while the fighter gets himself stuck trying to pursue), I don't think I can call it my favorite anymore.

So my vote is Stinking Cloud, with Fireball as the backup (for fighting against undead or when I really gotta nuke something).

EDIT: Stinking Cloud also blocks line of sight. I guess this could be good and bad (ranger: "move your damn fart field so I can get a clear shot!") (enemy artillery: "Blast! We can't bombard them from here with that fart field in the way! Hey...is it getting closer or is it just me?")

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads