• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

POLYHEDRON: Favorite Designers

psionotic

1) Monte Cook, Sean K Reynolds, and Bruce Cordell. I also have high respect for Jonathan Tweet, its too bad he's been stuck in Chainmail for the past year +.

2) My group are Monte Cook & Sean K Reynolds fanboys as well, because of RttToEE & Books of Eldritch Might, and because we all feel that the FRCS and Magic of Faerun are the two best 3E books WotC has put out, even though we don't play in the Realms and are all confirmed Elminster & Drizzt bashers.

3) I'd say both are important. I won't buy an RPG book if I'm not interested in its subject, but the presence of someone who I admire will make me much more likely to flip through a book that I normally wouldn't.

Judging by their popularity in this thread, it looks like Malhavoc Press is poised to take over the world now that Bruce and Sean have teamed up with Monte to become an elite crime fighting/game designing team. :)

1) Are there any d20 creators (either at WotC or otherwise) whose stuff you'll buy pretty much all the time? Are there any names that make you think "oh, that gaming product will be worth getting"? Please list those names, and why you think so highly of them.

Not guaranteed to buy, but I do like Cordell, Cook, Long and Laws' work... There are others but those stand out in my mind right now. Why do I think highly of them? Hmmn... I just have enjoyed the innovation and writing style of them.

2) Do other members of your gaming group pay attention to the author of a roleplaying product?

No, only me

3) Which is more important to you when making a purchasing decision: The name of the book's author or the book's subject matter (spellbook, monster supplement, world book, etc.)?

In general the subject... but if I am a *little* interested in the subject and one of the authors is writing it, I am likely to pick it up

RichGreen

Adventurer
same as everyone else really

Favourite designers: Monte Cook, Bruce Cordell, Robin D Laws, Jonathan Tweet, John Tynes.

These people always make me give a supplement or adventure a good once-over, but like everyone else, if I don't think I'll ever need a Guide to X, I'm unlikely to buy it.

For example, Robin Laws' name on the cover meant I bought Seven Strongholds. I wasn't particularly in the market for a book of castles, but thought it would come in handy one day. Luckily, it's an excellent book, full of cool ideas. I didn't buy Rune, because I don't need or have time for another RPG at the moment.

As someone else mentioned, I'd like to see another adventure by John Rateliff (The Standing Stone).

Cheers

Richard

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
1) Nope, not really. At least not D&D. I have a soft spot for CJ Carella and Eric Wujcik, but that's neither here nor there.

2) We have one big-time John Wick fan, and yes, he bought "What's that Smell?" because of the name.

3) For me it's always subject matter. Now that my finances have been curbed quite a bit, it's even more important.

Ashtal
PS: Sowwie for the mess earlier! :eek:

Wolfshead

Explorer
Erik Mona said:
1) Are there any d20 creators (either at WotC or otherwise) whose stuff you'll buy pretty much all the time?

2) Do other members of your gaming group pay attention to the author of a roleplaying product?

3) Which is more important to you when making a purchasing decision: The name of the book's author or the book's subject matter (spellbook, monster supplement, world book, etc.)?

1) Not really. Certain names simply make me more likely to give a product a second look (or even a first).

2) My players don't know one author from another, and tend to get that clueless look on their faces if I ever mention names. They purchase very little RPG product anyway. (I will forever be the DM in this group.)

3) Subject matter, absolutely. I have no interest in (for example) a new monster supplement, no matter who wrote it.

Randy

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads