• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Polymorph: A Thought

There are, it seems, problems with Polymorph.

I don't think that this is much in debate at this juncture; the flurry of new books makes it really damned difficult to keep track of the capabilities of the many monsters that have been introduced, and balancing them? Not an easy task.

So, based on an idea that I read elsewhere, let me ask you folks how you would handle the following:

Polymorph as patterned after Summon Monster/Summon Nature's Ally. Specifically, a series of spells, Polymorph I through IX, that allows the caster to select from a small list of possible forms. Maybe 6 or 8 for each version of the spell.

Question the First: How long should the spell last? I'm thinking 1 minute/level, full round casting time.

Question the Second: What forms would you suggest for each level of the spell?

Question the Third: How does this idea sound, in general? Workable, or no? Desirable, or a bad idea?

Thanee

First Post
It's somewhat similar to what they are doing in the PHB II (though they have specific-form spells there).

(And it sounds like it belongs to the House Rules forum, rather than here. ;))

Bye
Thanee

Bad Paper

First Post
This does belong in house rules, but my simple fix to polymorph, summoning spells, familiars, and all those open-ended things is simply: you only get what's in the Monster Manual.

Thanee

First Post
I like my house rule idea (never used it though :eek: ), that you need a part of the creature you want to polymorph into as a material component. :)

Bye
Thanee

3d6

Explorer
interwyrm said:
I think a better fix would be you only get what you've encountered so far.
I don't think that's a good balancing factor; it ties the DM's hands in encounter design. Let's say I wanted to have a pack of trolls, with a handful of cave trolls led by a war troll. If that was my standard for polymorph, I couldn't have that encounter, because cave trolls and war trolls are much too good as alternate forms. It seems much better to me to fix polymorph rather than change how I run my game to accomidate it's quirks.

I think the best fix for polymorph is a cap on what it can grant, rather than a limitation on forms. For example, you might limit it so that it can't give more than a +6 bonus to ability scores, and can only give special abilities off a list, or something similar. That way, the players can still polymorph into a creature without breaking the game, even if that creature is a 3HD humanoid with 90 Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution. He's a quick example of my suggestion:
This spell functions like alter self, except that the subject assumes the form of a creature of its own type, or of the aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or vermin types. The new form can be any size.

The subject gains bonuses or penalties to Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution sufficient to increase or decrease his or her ability scores to that of his or her new form. Polymorph cannot grant a bonus greater than +6. For example, a subject with 16 Strength and 21 Dexterity polymorphed into a fire giant would gain a +6 bonus to Strength (the maximum allowed by polymorph) and a -10 penalty to Dexterity.

The subject gains the new form’s natural armor bonus, to a maximum of +5.

The subject loses his own type traits and subtype traits and gains the new form’s non-supernatural type traits and subtype traits (though the subject does not actually gain the new form’s type or subtype) as well as any of the following abilities if they are possessed by the new form: blindsense, constrict, darkvision, improved grab, low-light vision, poison, pounce, powerful charge, rake, rend, scent, swallow whole, and trample.

A creature with the shapechanger subtype can revert to its natural form (ending the spell) as a standard action.

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
I'd start with:

1. You can only Polymorph into what you have encountered.

2. You can only Polymorph into a creature if you (the player) knows EXACTLY how it works - you must have it fully documented and ready to go.

3d6 said:
I don't think that's a good balancing factor; it ties the DM's hands in encounter design. Let's say I wanted to have a pack of trolls, with a handful of cave trolls led by a war troll. If that was my standard for polymorph, I couldn't have that encounter, because cave trolls and war trolls are much too good as alternate forms.
Then maybe -- and I'm being snarky here -- you shouldn't use monsters that are horribly overpowered for their HD and size and have special abilities to no end. Or, just use an ordinary troll and add class levels. No, I'm not a fan of the new trolls -- they seem FAR too tough compared to the MM giants, which IMO should remain the top end of strength and toughness for giants.

papastebu

First Post
If you are going to change it, it seems to me that one spell shouldn't allow you to change into multiple creatures.
One form per spell-level, MUST have a piece of the critter for each change--not consumed, but could get pretty stinky, depending on the piece.
One change per spell-level would mean you would have three by the third level of the spell.
Bear in mind, please, that I am currently re-vamping the entire DnD magic system, so spell-levels are acquired earlier.

Remove ads