• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Polymorph and a Box

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If, by this, you are implying that the spell gives a definitive rules answer to what happens when polymorph interacts with tight spaces, you are 100% wrong.
Correct, there seems to be no clear answer on the confined-space question.

But I don't think that's what was being said. I read it as simply trying to point out that your idea of the "flash of light" transform doesn't mesh with the RAW as - to be a bit pedantic - use of the word "meld" does imply a fluidic transformation from one form to another, much like Professor McGonagall when she turns into a cat.

What would be nice is a note on how long this transformation takes to occur, and also on what if anything unusual happens should you take damage while transforming.

Lanefan

plisnithus8

Adventurer
Ruled that way because they want everything to go through hit points whether warranted or not. I get it.

Dumb rule.

Some things should bypass hit points completely; this is one.

Wouldn't surprise me if they put these two rules in specifically to nerf Poly-Other...particularly the second one, which outright means you cannot kill a polymorphed creature. Which is rather easily breakable, when you think about it:

Step one: wizard casts Poly-Other on party fighter, turns her into a giant or ogre or some other thing that's big and burly and tough...

I'm not sure why you feel suffication should be more deadly than a wallop if great axe.

This is why I suggested fly/drop falling damage of 20d6, to carry over to otiginal form, repeat drop if necessary.

The polymorph party member is something we use regularly.

Ganymede81

First Post
But I don't think that's what was being said. I read it as simply trying to point out that your idea of the "flash of light" transform doesn't mesh with the RAW as - to be a bit pedantic - use of the word "meld" does imply a fluidic transformation from one form to another, much like Professor McGonagall when she turns into a cat.

I think you're confusing meld with melt and are imagining equipment melting into a target's new form.

Anyways, I definitely would not describe connotations and inferences as RAW.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
What would be nice is a note on how long this transformation takes to occur, and also on what if anything unusual happens should you take damage while transforming.

Lanefan

I'd rather they didn't....so we can each use as we see fit.

snickersnax

Explorer
The intent, presumably, is to now kill the polymorphed wretch in some way or another, be it simple or absurd. So why not just get it over with? Why bother with a bunch of inane debate about the specifics? Well, it's inane if it's happening at the table, It seems like a waste of time in that case. Here on the interwebs maybe it's just a fun mental exercise.

You want to put the polymorphed creature in a tiny box and end the spell? Fine. It's dead. Fly up a few hundred feet and drop it? Fine. It's dead. Throw it off a cliff? Wedge it in a tight crevice? Whatever it is, fine, it's dead. Let's move on. To me this isn't cheating the system and it can even be fun on occasion when it happens, but I don't like to devote a ton of table time to this sort of thing.

Now, per usual, my disclaimer... all of the above is just how I handle my games, not how i feel anyone else should. We all play the game in our own ways, this is just my way, not the only one.

Unfortunately the way polymorph is currently written, killing a polymorphed creature isn't so easy. So players and DMs have to come up with these contortions to get the job done.

I'd just as soon have HP not modified by polymorph. The way its written now its like there is no shared body between original creature and polymorphed creature, only a shared personality.

The spell might as well be called Possessed Beast Replacement.

Anyway its cool that you don't get hung up on these snags. A lot of people do, including myself :)

BoldItalic

First Post
I know the answer. It just came to me. The creature and the box get merged into ... a mimic !

Always wondered where mimics came from. Know we know.

greg kaye

Explorer
So what happens when you polymorph someone (say a medium human/humanoid) into a small fish, snail, turtle, small whatever with little or no movement speed, and then pick them up and put them in a small arcane-locked iron box. And then end the polymorph spell?

What happens to the creature and what happens to the box?

What modifications can be made to the box to make whatever your ruling is more deadly if its not already?

Spikes pointing into the box?

Small holes in the box to relieve some pressure?

A larger box that actually has enough volume to barely fit the original creature with small holes that swords can be inserted into?
I thought it worth bumping this one back with possible reformulations of the questions:
a) What happens when a creature of a larger size is polymorphed into a creature of a smaller size and the creature's context is about to change in a way that wouldn't fully accommodate the larger form of the creature?
and/or b) What happens to the caster if the full effects of the casting can't be fully reverted?
RAW, question a arguably might not matter.
the spell says:
The transformation lasts for the duration, or until the target drops to 0 hit points or dies. The new form can be any beast whose challenge rating is equal to or less than the target's (or the target's level, if it doesn't have a challenge rating). The target's game statistics, including mental ability scores, are replaced by the statistics of the chosen beast. It retains its alignment and personality.

The target assumes the hit points of its new form. When it reverts to its normal form, the creature returns to the number of hit points it had before it transformed. If it reverts as a result of dropping to 0 hit points, any excess damage carries over to its normal form. As long as the excess damage doesn't reduce the creature's normal form to 0 hit points, it isn't knocked unconscious.
However, it would be an easy fix to say that the spell ends when "the creature's context is about to change in a way that wouldn't fully accommodate the larger form of the creature" per a.

b, however, might be related to conceptions of that "normal form" bit of the description. What happens to the caster if the spell's subject can't fully revert when the magic might naturally end?
This is where I'd potentially add penalties depending on extents of inabilities to revert. Sure, this type of thing might work the first time (or at least before the GM has had time to think about it) but later a penalty such as losing access to the spell could be applied.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads