• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Polymorph other on self?

Tyrrell

First Post
Polymorph Other
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One creature
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Any reason why a spellcaster couldn't cast this one on himself or herself?

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Nope, no reason.

However, be careful that you don't get stuck. Polymorph Other is permanent, so you can't go back to your natural form without a dispel (or a second polymorph). If you turn into a form that can't cast spells, you could be in trouble.

Polymorph Self doesn't have that problem, because it has a limited duration, and is dismissable on command.

Asmo

First Post
on a related matter:
You cast Polymorph Self on a familiar (Share spells, page 51, PHB).
How would this work? Could the familiar dispel the Polymorph by itself? ( You have a Toad as a familar,and you polymorph into a Hawk and send it to scout, but he has to revert to a toad to reach a certain place,and it can only be done as a toad).And then change back to a hawk at will?

Asmo

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Could the familiar dispel the Polymorph by itself?
No. A spell can only be dismissed by the original caster. The familiar can't dismiss the polymorph any more than he could dismiss a Wall of Force cast by his master.

( You have a Toad as a familar,and you polymorph into a Hawk and send it to scout, but he has to revert to a toad to reach a certain place,and it can only be done as a toad).
You can only share spells if the familiar is within 5' of you. If the duration is longer than Instantaneous, the effect ends when the familiar moves more than 5' away.

And then change back to a hawk at will?
If a spell is ended by any means-- dismissal, dispelling, or expired duration-- it's over, and that's all. You cannot resume the effect without recasting the spell.

Remember that Polymorph Self has been errated, and now allows only one change per casting. You only revert to your own form when the effect ends.

[edited to fix coding]

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
AuraSeer said:
However, be careful that you don't get stuck. Polymorph Other is permanent, so you can't go back to your natural form without a dispel (or a second polymorph). If you turn into a form that can't cast spells, you could be in trouble.

Note that another Polymorph will not return you. What it will do is make you an average member of your race as far as physical stats go. Of course, you get a bonus to the disguise check you make to look like yourself. :)

In some cases (a caster with low physical stats) this may actually be a good thing.

Asmo

First Post
Thanx AuraSeer for clearing that up for me.

So I guess that I ´ve to cast Polymorph Other on my familiar if I want him to scout for me.

Asmo

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
James McMurray said:

Note that another Polymorph will not return you. What it will do is make you an average member of your race as far as physical stats go.
From the spell description: "The subject can be changed into a member of its own species or even into itself." If I turn you into yourself, then you're yourself, not just somebody who happens to look like you.

Jeremy

Explorer
Actually played with a sorcerer once who used that as a form of arcane healing.

If someone was getting wounded, he'd polymorph them into themselves to gain hit points "as if resting for a day". I don't know if that is still part of polymorph after all the revisions, but it came in useful a couple of times.

James McMurray

First Post
AuraSeer said:

From the spell description: "The subject can be changed into a member of its own species or even into itself." If I turn you into yourself, then you're yourself, not just somebody who happens to look like you.

I stand corrected. That line was buried deep within the errattaed version, and I missed it. It could still be useful for people to transform into average members of their race though, if they had lower than average physical stats.

Actually played with a sorcerer once who used that as a form of arcane healing.

If someone was getting wounded, he'd polymorph them into themselves to gain hit points "as if resting for a day". I don't know if that is still part of polymorph after all the revisions, but it came in useful a couple of times.

Its still there. I don't know if it means they rested (i.e. 1hp per level) or a day of complete rest (2 or 3 hp per level).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads