• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Polymorph other question

Geist

First Post
OK polymorph other says that the person who is changed loses their SU abilities.

im trying to find out if this is only racial SU abilities or even su abilities you gain from levels.

personaly i think it is only racial SU but my DM things its ALL su abilities. though hes left it up to me to find out.

If anyone can help me prove its only racial SU abilites please help me out here

:confused: :confused:

gfunk

First Post
Supernatural is supernatural, it doesn't matter where it comes from. Everything stops functioning...

<added>

Maybe you could give us your reasons that you think it should be restricted to losing only racial supernatural abilities? Who knows? You might be right . . .:p

Last edited:

Geist

First Post
well basicaly the main reason being that since your only changeing your shape it doesnt make sense why you would lose say:

the red avengers Ki healing which is a su ability. if someone has polymporhed you.

or say

a bard isnpire courage ability.

or

a cleric turn or rebuke undead.

i mean i dont see why your form changeing would make you lose these abilities.

its not like the spell is polymorph class. in which case i could see you loseing class based su abilities.

once again we see why the poly spells are broken and need to be not revised like they were but totaly re-written.

Crothian

First Post
The problem is some of those SU abilities will become very powerful in the correct form. So, I think the wise idea from Wizards is to nix them all. However, unless your DM is adamant about rules, you should be able to give specific examples of a SU power in a particuliar for m that should be allowed to work. There are just to many varibles as a DM that I couldn't say no to all of them. I'd allow specif exceptions in this case.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
"Ha!" quoth the 11th level monk. "I do not fear your hail of poisoned shuriken! My supernatural Diamond Body laughs at your pitiful toxins!"

"Quick," the assassin urged his mage buddy. "Polymorph him into a girl!"

-Hyp.

Crothian

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
"Ha!" quoth the 11th level monk. "I do not fear your hail of poisoned shuriken! My supernatural Diamond Body laughs at your pitiful toxins!"

"Quick," the assassin urged his mage buddy. "Polymorph him into a girl!"

-Hyp.

LOL

I take it we're to assume the monk was male? I like that, very Politically Incorrect. :D

Crothian

First Post
Geist said:
my DM is very by the books. very little negotiation happens unless it will benifit the npc's also

Tell him that the NPCs can also use SU abilities polymorph if they fit the critiria set with your PC.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I take it we're to assume the monk was male? I like that, very Politically Incorrect. :D

Actually, by the PHB I don't think it matters.

I'd have to check the Polymorph errata to be sure.

But if you Polymorph someone, they lose their Su abilities. The PHB says you can even polymorph someone into themself. The only note it makes about this is they don't suffer the disorientation effect.

Hey, that's pretty cool, really. The PCs know Su abilities aren't subject to dispel magic... so when they fail a Fort save and all their abilities go away with no other apparent effects, they'd be wondering what sort of freaky spell that mage just cast...

-Hyp.

Crothian

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Actually, by the PHB I don't think it matters.

I'd have to check the Polymorph errata to be sure.

But if you Polymorph someone, they lose their Su abilities. The PHB says you can even polymorph someone into themself. The only note it makes about this is they don't suffer the disorientation effect.

Hey, that's pretty cool, really. The PCs know Su abilities aren't subject to dispel magic... so when they fail a Fort save and all their abilities go away with no other apparent effects, they'd be wondering what sort of freaky spell that mage just cast...

-Hyp.

That is so Evil I like that, I really like that. Does that give off a magical aura? I think so, that could be really disturbing when they do a causal detect magic.

Mage casts Detect Magic on the hoard of items gathered after killing the Slaad that came from a mysterious cow farm (it's fun to tie threads together :D ). "Yep, these swords and axes are magical. Hey, so is.... Bob? "

"I'm not magical yet, " replies Bob," I'm only a 10th level Monk, but my powers haven't seemed to be working right ever since that mysterious robed guy muttered something at me...."

Bob being polymorphed into himself and not being able to use his abilities. Is it just me, is is that some really bad fiction? I just wanted to include the Slaad. That's the whole purpose of that rubbish. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads