• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Polymorphing into an object.

Scratched_back

First Post
Hi All,

Quick question, I shall keep it simple. I had an idea inspired by our Rogue's passion for scouting alone... it's barely ever safe.

Can somebody please outline the easiest/most effective way that I could polymorph myself into an object to be carried by him on his scouting missions? The object itself is mostly irrelevant, as long as it's non-cumbersome for him and I could be taken along without hampering his hide/sneak/listen etc etc.

Also, how would my vision work in such a scenario? If I were transformed into say, a scabbard, how is my awareness affected? Could I polymorph back at first sign of a threat?

If at all possible, can we stick to WotC material? If not, please cite your sources.

Also, levels for this exercise are flexible, I'm just as interested in whether it's possible at all as I am the levels it can be achieved at.

Thanks guys,

Very greatful.

-Ben

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Is there a reason it has to be an object? Would turning into a small bird, for example, fill the same requirement?

Similarly, do you need to be present, or just able to observe? Something like Prying Eyes or a familiar would allow you to keep tabs on him without turning yourself into a rock.

-Hyp.

MarkB

Legend
The rules aren't clear, but I'd tend to rule that a creature polymorphed into an object loses all awareness and volition until they are returned to a living form - essentially, as far as their awareness is concerned, time stops for them while they are an object.

Scratched_back

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Is there a reason it has to be an object? Would turning into a small bird, for example, fill the same requirement?

Similarly, do you need to be present, or just able to observe? Something like Prying Eyes or a familiar would allow you to keep tabs on him without turning yourself into a rock.

-Hyp.

Hi Hyp, thanks for your first input.

1) Polymorphing into a more versatile animal is viable I guess, it's just the DM is a stickler for realism and tends to go a little overboard with "realism" in these scenarious. For example, if I turned into a sparrow, I'd suddenly be laser-dot sighted by all of the Sparrow's natural predators... hassle which I do not need.

2) Familiar is out because I don't have one yet - a definite possibilty for the future though.

3) Scrying is also an option, but the main aim of the task is to be able to intervene if needed, not just to observe.

So, as a rules excercise, is my initial question viable?

Cheers,

-Ben

Jack Simth

First Post
Shapechange permits it; Polymorph Any Object will turn you into a rock.... but you lose your Int. Polymorph has a sharply limited list of types you can turn into.

You want to be a sparrow, rat, flea, mouse, or whatever sitting on his shoulder, using the regular version of Polymorph. Perhaps make some kind of windowed hat for you to hide in, keeping away from preadators.

cmanos

First Post
A sparrow's natural enemy would come no where enar a sparrow riding on the shoulder of a human. That's the realism of that situation. They only way they would is if they thought the human was easy prey, and then the sparrow would be a secondary concern.

Polymorphing into an object. I would rule that you have no senses whatsoever. The form you are in does not have eues and ears, you can't see or hear. If it doesn't have nerves to feel you can't feel.

How about a mouse inside the rogue's pouch? Oh, that's right, the snake...the mous's natural predator will climb up the rogue's leg and into the pouch just to get at the mouse...its natural prey.

Remove ads