PoPP: Souls For Smuggler's Shiv [01]

mleibrock

First Post
In spite of the city girl's attempts to help, Taron manages to put together a raft that looks like it might get you out to the shipwreck.

[sblock=OOC]The raft likely won't allow you to actually ride it all the way out - even supposing you took the time to carve paddles. But it will give you something to hold on to and will grant a +10 equipment bonus to your swim checks. Let me know whether or not you wish to proceed - IC posting of your action in moving to the water and/or following the lead of the first person to move to the water will work well - and I'll take care of the checks, then make a descriptive IC post of the results.[/sblock]

[sblock=Mike P]So, in the checks would one person be the lead roller and the rest of us roll aid another rolls?[/sblock]

mleibrock

First Post
Lerissa

In spite of the city girl's attempts to help, Taron manages to put together a raft that looks like it might get you out to the shipwreck.

[sblock=OOC]The raft likely won't allow you to actually ride it all the way out - even supposing you took the time to carve paddles. But it will give you something to hold on to and will grant a +10 equipment bonus to your swim checks. Let me know whether or not you wish to proceed - IC posting of your action in moving to the water and/or following the lead of the first person to move to the water will work well - and I'll take care of the checks, then make a descriptive IC post of the results.[/sblock]

Lerissa looks at the raft and is clearly not very anxious to give it a try. She begins to looks at the beach to determine if it is currently high or low tide.

OOC - I'm thinking if we give it a try at low tide maybe it wouldn't take 10 checks.

IronWolf

blank
Taron looks at the sea as the waves crash in and the haphazardly crafted attempt at a raft near his feet on the beach. He shakes his head. "Still looks like a long ways out. We have time, we could always spend more time building a more surf worthy craft and try again another day. Or watch for more favorable seas.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
The three of you spend about two hours scrounging dead fall and vines and working on the raft. As you stand on the rocky beach glumly surveying the state of the ocean and the seaworthiness of your raft the afternoon rains sweep in, bringing some small relief from the oppressive heat.

OOC: What now? It's mid-afternoon (14:00 Hours Earth Time :D)

[sblock=MikeL]Yep; I'd make the checks, using either Abraxis or Lerissa as the "lead" since they both have a +1 Swim. I'd also roll Aid Another checks for the other two to complement each of the "lead" checks. So with the +10 for the raft and the +1 for the skill, you're looking at 10 rolls of 09 or better to make it to the ship. That base would be modified by the aid another checks as well. A roll of 5 to 9 would mean you make no progress that round, a roll of 4 or less would mean you're starting to drown. I'd make the checks simply because it would be easier and far less RL time consuming for me to do it and incorporate it all into one post than to wait for all of the checks from each of you and then try to collate all of it.

Swimming pretty much anywhere around the coast - with only a few exceptions specifically called out in the adventure - is going to be DC20. The variables for the off-coast items of interest will be how far out they are, and if there's any way to get to them besides swimming (like there was with the Brine Demon.[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
OOC: Considering the rain, the time of day, and the fact that we all suck at swimming, I think it best that we maybe head back to camp?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=OOC]The rain isn't horrible; it imposes a -4 penalty on Perception checks but otherwise doesn't really affect you. And I'm really not trying to be discouraging about exploring the shipwrecks - the setup makes it necessary for swimming to be really tough. Low tide would take off two checks, cutting you down to eight successful checks.[/sblock]

IronWolf

blank
"Waiting for the low tide is likely the best course of action for the moment. We can stash this raft now and do some more scouting before heading back to camp." Taron replies. "At some point I think we will need to investigate these wrecks more. They are apt to have supplies that may be useful, but let us make sure conditions are most optimal for our excursion."

[sblock=OOC]
I say time our trip to the shipwreck with low tide. Let's explore another hour or so and then head back to camp.
[/sblock]

mleibrock

First Post
Lerissa

"I agree, maybe another time when we can invest some real time into creating a sea-worthy raft."

Lerissa does take the opportunity to wade into the water to cool herself from the oppressive heat. She stays only a few moments and again exits.

"Let's continue exploring, I think we have a bit of time before we should head back."

Remove ads