Positive Science Fiction?

Kaodi

Hero
I have been getting the feeling too recently that the time was come for the pendulum to swing back towards "optimism" , though a judiciously measured optimism. The work is not necessarily that of "science fiction" per se though. I think we need a revolution in speculative fiction that focuses on the advancement of human relations, not just technology.

For instance, in Canada we know that we have a serious problem with the living conditions of indigenous peoples and our political and economic relations with them. Yet I do not know of any fiction that examines how a future might look where this has played out in a more-or-less just fashion. I even shot an e-mail to a fellow who runs a blog called "Speculating Canada" and he could not think of any offhand either.

If you look back at Star Trek, how many people say, "That show was great because they had all this cool technology," instead of, "That show was great because it showed a world in which people from different ethnicities worked together in harmony," ?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I have been getting the feeling too recently that the time was come for the pendulum to swing back towards "optimism" , though a judiciously measured optimism. The work is not necessarily that of "science fiction" per se though. I think we need a revolution in speculative fiction that focuses on the advancement of human relations, not just technology.

Interesting that you mention this. The Hieroglyph Project isn't just about depicting technology. It is about presenting fully-considered scenarios where people come together to use technology well - so, the human relations are expected to be part of the solution to problems, you see.

From About Project Hieroglyph:
"What science fiction stories—and the symbols that they engender—can do better than almost anything else is to provide not just an idea for some specific technical innovation, but also to supply a coherent picture of that innovation being integrated into a society, into an economy, and into people’s lives. Often, this is the missing element that scientists, mathematicians, engineers, and entrepreneurs need in order to actually take the first real steps towards realizing some novel idea."

How's that?

Orius

Legend
It not only technology that we frown upon in our fiction. We frown upon society and institutions as well.

I'd comment on this, but it would require me to step into all sorts of political topics. So all I can say is that I generally agree with it. Even if I am a pessimistic cynic.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'd comment on this, but it would require me to step into all sorts of political topics. So all I can say is that I generally agree with it. Even if I am a pessimistic cynic.

It is entirely reasonable for folks to think, "Yes, well, we frown on them because they are bad!" And surely, it isn't like I'm suggesting folks go all rosy-eyed about society and institutions.

Part of the thing to remember, however, is that while they may be bad now, they don't have to be that for all time. Your sci fi story can be about fixing more than technical issues.

Remove ads