• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Positive Stories of Faith from Your Campaigns

Coroc

Hero
Nature cleric in my campaign grabbing dirt and earth and eating it :p

Thyr (FR) Cleric in campaign I play in cutting his finger of as a sacrifice.

Celebrim

Legend
What is with all of the Paladin threads?

Did I anger some elder deity?

Is this "Torture Lowkey Month?"

I told you a little while ago. We were going to give you a do period to reconsider your evil ways and repent, and then if we didn't see improvement, it would be smiting time. :D

After playing a variety of characters in 4E’s Living Forgotten Realms campaign, I thought it might be fun to try to play a character whose ethos was close to mine (or at least what I’d aspire to be). For context, I’m what most people in the US would call a “liberal Christian” as opposed to the evangelical MAGA extreme right-wing style. So I thought, hey, I’ll play a character whose motivation is to feed the hungry, heal the sick, relieve suffering and champion those who society tries to ignore; the fundamentals of what Christianity teaches we should do. But, like JC in the Bible, not be a dick about it — go to parties, hang with friends, drink regularly, enjoy life!

I honestly expected the character not to last too long in the campaign — playing characters whose goals are not in line with the canonical zero-to-hero seemed like it might not work out well. But surprisingly, I played him from level 1 to 10, so probably about 25 adventure sessions. For about half that time he was based in one city where he ran a church / community center. He’d go and help his friends out if they needed him, and only once did an adventure plot seem impossible to follow, which was honestly a big surprise (I actually went to most sessions early in with a back-up character, just in case).

However, the last session he played in involved the destruction of the city. And it was clear that not everyone could escape. The game plot had the heroes rescuing Important People, but it also expected them to leave once the important people had escaped. But it was pretty clear that if my character went back in, he could save more of the common folk, even if he would not survive. So ... that was the finale for Chosen.

Looking back, I had a lot of fun with him, and it was honestly surprisingly easy to play a meaningfully faithful character who was not a pain in the ass. Kudos to the LFR scenario writers and GMs for allowing more styles of play than I gave them credit for! Nice job, all.

Remove ads