• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Post Apocalypse Travel From England to France then to Spain

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
England is an island! Anyone who doesn't want to go directly to Spain in a boat is an idiot. As for the French, find an armed ship and blow them out of the water! Where to hold up? This is Europe we're talking about, castles all over the place. It sounds like you're trying to railroad your players totally. If they know anything about England/Europe they are probably going to be quite annoyed with this. And, as stated above, why stop at Spain? How many infected survivors? If they have the ammo the best way to deal with them, if there aren't too many, is to get into a defensive position and lure them into mindless combat where they can be chopped down with relative impunity. (So don't be surprised if your players think of this.)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ed_Laprade said:
And, as stated above, why stop at Spain?

personally I'd go to New Zealand

According to studies New Zealand has a 97.65% chance of surviving any post apocolyptic cataclysm that destroys the rest of the world. Unless its Tuesday, if its Tuesday then where all damned

Dan R.Stevenson

First Post
Turanil said:
So there is but a handful of survivors with weapons. However, what happened to the infected? Are there still milions of infected people running around, or just a few thousands? Then, what are their behavior? Like mad animals? If so, I guess the PCs can easily cross the country without too much hindrance. The remaining survivors won't block or patrol anything beyond their own fortress (probably some old castle in the backcountry). So with good maps and clever thinking the PCs could go almost unnoticed, and reach Spain easily. My suggestion is that there should be much more small pockets of survivors here and there. In some backcountry place peasants see few people, and could well be entranched still uninfected.

The infected are pretty much psychotic with limited intelligence. They know where to find food, use a club, pry locked doors open, and have limited communication skills. The streets are full of them. They no longer attack the character's stronghold but lurk around the edges of the primature waiting to attack scavanging parties that come out for food. There are small pockets of survivors through out England and France some of these groups however want to do their own thing and don't want to leave England and France.

Turanil

First Post
Tonguez said:
According to studies New Zealand has a 97.65% chance of surviving any post apocolyptic cataclysm that destroys the rest of the world.
Info directly stuck into my paranoid head. Someday (soon) you could meet a refugee an ENworlder from France. :p

Andor

First Post
Dan R.Stevenson said:
some of these groups however want to do their own thing and don't want to leave England and France.

Certainly a valid option. If they can lay in a years worth of supplies, then the harsh winter should take care of most of the infected.

Quartz

Hero
How about this for fun: if you're starting them in London, have them fight their way from the Tower (or whereever) to HMS Belfast (WW2 battleship) which just happens to be reasonably armed and fueled, then have them fight their way down the Thames (crazies in rowboats etc). It will give them the excuse to blow up Tower Bridge. :)

Dan R.Stevenson

First Post
Andor said:
Certainly a valid option. If they can lay in a years worth of supplies, then the harsh winter should take care of most of the infected.

The infection happened so fast they were not able to prepare for it. The infected are smart enough to smash a tin can until it opens to get food so they have been feeding on the canned food in the stores. The survivors have been looting food from some dock and wholesale warehouses. Everytime they leave their stronghold they have to fight their way out and back usually loosing 1-2 survivors to the infected people outside of the compound. They barely have enough food to make it through the winter. Everytime they locate a new warehouse the infected that are chasing them also discover it and will gorge themselves on the food inside. When they get to the warehouse they are only able to fill half the truck with food if they are lucky.

Andor

First Post
Well.. Several options present themselves to me, but they are tactical ideas, rather than scenarios and not what you as the GM need.

I suspect they'd still do well to sit tight for a few weeks, once the infected get seriously hungry they'll start thinning their own numbers out I should expect.

I don't think worrying about national responses is appropriate, there are no such things left. If there are a few hundred uninfected people left on GB, an island with a population of 60 million, then the devastation is so total as to render the concept of nations meaningless. The world consists of zombie madmen and a few pockets of heavily armed and utterly ruthless people, who are complete and total fools to fail to cooperate, not that that makes conflict impossible, or even unlikely.

You setup seems to make any scenario other than a running firefight improbable.

Dan R.Stevenson

First Post
I have posted this to find other ideas to the scenario. Right now I have. 1) Drive to Spain. 2) Take a boat to Spain. 3) Stay put and wait out the winter and hope the crazies freeze to death. 4) Make it to the countryside in either Wales or Scotland.

The nations might have collapsed but the men who were around to enforce the nations laws will be some of the survivors and they will be armed. These guys will have a taste power some will be saviors while others will be pint size Hitlers once they get into power. There will be small pockets of survivors the characters are members of one of the larger better organized groups. Others could be controled skinheads, Islamists, religious nutcases, and military madmen.

As for cooperation that is why I have the players group make contact with a group of French survivors. Neither the British or the French survivors have made contact with other pockets of survivors in their own countries. They feel the more people they have the better chance of survival they will have. I also thought it would be intresting to have two different cultures who speak totally diffrent languages being forced to work together or perish. :cool:

PS..Can anyone tell me more about territorial armories in England? What type of weapons and munitions can be found in the armory? What are armories called in Spain or France?

Last edited:

Andor

First Post
Well 1 is out. You can't drive through the chunnel, it's trains only. Although they might be able to get to the service tunnels and take a maintenence car across I suppose. So it's a boat to france and then drive to spain. :) Actually if any of them can fly the could just swipe a plane and fly to Spain. I'm not sure where the armories are but try googling the RAF, SAS, Royal Marines, etc...

Another possible scenario is to get to one of the sparsely populated islands and see if it avoided infection, or just wipe out the crazies there, then hole up there for the winter. Or if they are sufficiently ruthless, one of the bigger islands like the isle of wight or mann. How did this infection spread, and how did they avoid it? Other places that might have been sufficiently isolated as to avoid infection are the oil platforms in the north sea and the islands like the hebridies. And (not that it's handy or anything) how about the antarctic research base?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads