Post Apocalyptic and Old Feel Setting Inspiration?

Henry

Autoexreginated
To bring this more towards the Forum Topic, I would suggest you check into Bruce Baugh's Gamma World setting for d20, available this month, I believe. It's gamma world more in the old style of the setting, with fantastically powered mutants and mutated animals running around, with robots and androids who have survived by adapting themselves with scavenged parts.

I'll see if I can look up a link to the recent thread which summarized some of the sneak peaks at it.

Found it! http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64527

Last edited:

redkobold

Explorer
Yeah, the imminent release of Gamma World is what has me thinking about this. I just wanted to get some inspiration and have a unique and alien setting rather than the staple familiar PA setting.

Henry

Autoexreginated
OK - though unless you have a strong disagreement, I'll move this over to the "Books/Movies/TV" forums, because you may well have a stronger response there.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Both the classic A Canticle for Leibowitz and the Horseclans series might have some of what you're looking for. The Horseclans have high adventure among the ruins of what was once America, while Canticle has some of the very sad 'misunderstood relics of the past' theme going for it.

World Enough, and Time and it's sequel Time’s Dark Laughter, by James Kahn. Set many years after the 'end of the world'... or is it?

From an Amazon review: The story is an epic quest through California, long after the holocaust. Civilization is at a pre-industrial, pastoral level. Humans are a dying breed. Numerous fantasy creatures and intelligent animals share the earth, descendents of the decadent pre-holocaust obsession with genetically engineered vanity pets. Reading and writing is outlawed and has become an underground religion, much like early Christianity. Pseudo-religious armies of talking beasts and monsters roam the land like the free companies of Renaissance Europe. The human wives of a young man and his best friend, a Centaur, are kidnapped by a Vampire and his gang of slave traders and taken south to a mysterious and technically advanced city on the site of Los Angeles for sinister purposes. The heroes set off to rescue the women, and along the way they encounter many friends and enemies, including a type of cyborg known as a neuroman, a friendly Vampire and a genetically enhanced housecat.

Remove ads