• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Post Your Gaming Setup

pjrake

Explorer
we learn by example, and i would love to see other people's gaming setup. if you have any pics, share them. i will try to take some pics this week and post them up too.

-PJ

jcayer

Explorer
We're pretty low tech since we play at the same house every session, but have to knock everything down and put it away afterward.

2 six foot plastic tables stuck together gives us a big square. As the DM, I get one side to myself, and the players situate themselves around the table. Strangely enough, they have been sitting in the same order since our first session, over a year ago.

We have a 2x3 foot, gridded, white board, but have used it minimally since I started using Dundjinni. We do still use the board for notes and to track init, etc, but I haven't drawn a map on it in months.

Fortunately, there is a wet bar in the room, so food goes up there and people can refill their water from the sink. It's nice since it keeps us in one room and doesn't disturb the kids, or my wife, after she goes to bed.

I feel fortunate to have a room big enough to accommodate this many people..we had 6 players, plus myself for awhile. One guy does get a tray table setup next to him since he uses a laptop to track funny quotes and is now getting into keeping stats on it.

So low tech, but easy to put together and take apart.

CorditeJimmy

First Post
We have 4 basic classroom type tables side by side to form a roughly 8'x5' rectangle, with about 10 chairs around it. DM sits at one end, players arrange themselves around the rest of the table according to taste.

Behind the DM are two huge chalk boards (benefits of using a room on campus), which are sometimes used for maps, combat order, or unrelated amusement. (Frequently bears the phrase "This is not D&D" to discourage people from trying to loot every room and kill every NPC.)

There's another table over by the window for smokers to sit on and lean out of while still participating, and generally there'll also be a laptop and speakers for background music and special effects.

Games do sometimes get run at people's houses, but that's our most commonly used location due to its being relatively central for everyone to get to.

weem

First Post
I have an office we game in - we have a table (5' x 3') setup to end at the back of my desk chair. So, when we play, I spin around and am at the head of the table. I use my monitors behind me to display various images, NPC's etc.

At the table I simply have my notes and printouts of any monsters etc upon which I manage hit points and initiative. It's a low tech setup for sure, but one I am most comfortable with.

I'll look into taking some pictures in the near future!

evildmguy

Explorer
Over two years and a half years ago, I was talking to a friend of mine in a different city. He was wanting to play but couldn't get into a group where he was and I needed more players. Being geeks, we had two computer each, so we set up this new (to us) thing called Skype. We tried Yahoo Messenger but Skype was a much better picture. Soon, I had a remote player.

We used one computer to point at the players and one computer with its own camera to show the gaming map. It was good enough that he could see what was going on and tell us what to do with his mini. It didn't matter the game we played, we used Skype and some IMing between me and the remote player.

Then, another remote player joined at the first remote player's house and I gained another player and moved into a bigger room. More space means that most of players, who have laptops, all bring a PC. I upped the number of dedicated gaming computers to two and also use my gaming rig for the Skype call.

Our current setup is as follows. Two six by two foot tables, off set but together. One is against the wall and holds two extra monitors. (We look like the KoDT because we are all on one side so the web cam gets us all.) One extra monitor holds the skype feed to see the remote guys. The other extra monitor is hooked to my laptop and holds the player view from Masterplan. I use TightVNC as a way for the remote guys to connect and see the virutal table top. However, as they see whatever I show on the extra monitor, I can show pictures, web pages, or whatever the computer can handle. I used SketchUp to make the city and can show it on the second monitor, for example. The players have one of the tables and the equipment takes up a fair amount of the second. I take up whatever is left. The players all bring a laptop and can IM with each other as well as me. (Remember the old days of note passing? Maybe it was just me but now we can do it and it really is secret!) I have an extra mouse connected to the laptop so the players can move their characters on the Masterplan map. Using TightVNC means the remote guys can see and more their characters.

So far, this has worked really well for not being able to be at the same table. I have to admit to being sad that I don't use minis anymore as I was really looking forward to the September minis. But we don't use them anymore and so it seemed a waste. For the remote guys, the sound is the most important thing, more important than video. If they can hear us fine, it works well. Video is great, don't get me wrong, but the audio connection has to be the best connection.

I have also just used my laptop, the extra monitor and mouse, and Masterplan at one big table with ten guys and that worked out very well also.

edg

Remove ads