D&D 5E Potent Cantrip and Hoard of the Dragon Queen

evilbob

Explorer
Thanks for this thread. I was wondering about Potent Cantrip myself as well. At least there are two spells that use it now? Even if they are conjuration... (Which is pretty obvious, since conjuration spells just make something happen that you can save against, as opposed to evocation which typically hurls something at something else...)

It might be a happy medium to restrict it to evocation cantrips and leave in the other language. But then again, 99% of the time this is just going to be used with Firebolt anyway, so that almost doesn't matter. And by level 6, Firebolt is 2d10; average 5 damage on a miss.

Personally I never even knew or thought there would be such a huge response to "damage on a miss" but these boards alone are proof. I'm guessing the others in this thread are right and that when they removed all traces of "damage on a miss" this was the last to go and not very well thought-out. They really should have just left it; the results are not that game-breaking.

Considering how (mostly) amazing the other schools' level 6 abilities are, I would probably either restore the language or make up a new level 6 power for Evocation.

Remove ads