• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Potion bottles....Skinny or Flask shaped?

Vyrolakos

First Post
Fabricate will churn out standardised glass phials in large quantities of hundreds per casting.

This is interesting.

I always read that spell as though it produced one single item per casting with the size limits specified (10cu ft or 1cu ft per level for minerals) from raw material.

I never read it as allowing the mass producing of individual items.

Maybe due to PC's that would have just gone crazy with it. :)

brvheart

Explorer
I play pathfinder, but I am old school. I am not going to allow you to use fabricate to craft the masterwork weapon needed for your magic sword. You are still going to either have to craft one or have it done. Fabricate is extremely gamey IMHO, YMMV. If you are going to make potions, someone is going to have to find a glassblower who makes the vials. The guild houses are going to control the flow of information on the skill of crafting, not that there are not gifted amateurs. A child is apprenticed for years before he is taught even the simplest task, then becomes a journeyman and if he is really successful a master craftsman.

Maul

Explorer
I play pathfinder, but I am old school. I am not going to allow you to use fabricate to craft the masterwork weapon needed for your magic sword. You are still going to either have to craft one or have it done. Fabricate is extremely gamey IMHO, YMMV. If you are going to make potions, someone is going to have to find a glassblower who makes the vials. The guild houses are going to control the flow of information on the skill of crafting, not that there are not gifted amateurs. A child is apprenticed for years before he is taught even the simplest task, then becomes a journeyman and if he is really successful a master craftsman.

So your the purist, down to every detail, kind of DM huh........My hat off to you.

I usually just either tell the players to buy Cure potions or tell someone to play a Cleric that has the "Craft potions" feat.

brvheart

Explorer
Mostly my players scribe scrolls rather than brew potions. I try not to be anal about it, but you do have to at least buy the vials and proper paper, inks and quills. These are generally readily available in any magical supply shop in a larger town or city. But yes, coins do have weight, characters do have to eat, rest and even occasionally bathe.

I always read that spell as though it produced one single item per casting with the size limits specified (10cu ft or 1cu ft per level for minerals) from raw material.

I never read it as allowing the mass producing of individual items.

Mass production still works with your reading. Just Fabricate the bottles (or whatever you want) as connected to each other with sprues or other joining material so that it's still a single object when created. Then break off the individual parts.

Or, if Fabricate doesn't work for you, use Animate Object (with Permanency of course) onto your hand drills, hammers, saws, dollies, and booms. Voila, you now have automated manufacturing equipment. Direct as required, and have your co-workers use Control Construct as needed. Golems can be used for more complex tasks.

Vyrolakos

First Post
Sure, I can see how the sprue idea would actually work with the RAW, but for me it depends on the presumed technological understanding of the setting, ie. do they understand the concept behind mass production - it's a relatively new concept even for us in this century. I tend to imagine a more medieval/barbaric setting when I run games, so mass production of consumables (especially by prissy, scholarly and bookish Wizards) would be a no no or only from a very rare source.

I can see it working in other settings or even other peoples visions of their world of Golarion though. I should imagine that it's common in the standard Eberron setting.

brvheart

Explorer
The entire concept of sprue manufacturing is a very modern post WW II process with the advent of plastics and injection molding. I know this is fantasy, but only Eberron type settings presume a post industrial age. Even the concept of mass production is a rather new concept in our world. Not sure it was a good one either, but that is another subject. Too many gamers want to mix 21st tech and moralities upon a world setting that was based on a medieval society and technology level. While Golaron is somewhat different, it is not that different in that regard.

Remove ads