• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pounce for standard actions?

emoplato

First Post
I was wondering so long as the standard action involved an attack could pounce allow you to use a standard action type attack instead of a full-attack, since normally they use less time?

kitcik

Adventurer
I was wondering so long as the standard action involved an attack could pounce allow you to use a standard action type attack instead of a full-attack, since normally they use less time?

SRD said:
Pounce: When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack—including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability.

SRD said:
Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action.

So, to me, that is a no.

emoplato

First Post
Well to me, that alone doesn't. Full-attacks require relatively more effort and time than a standard action so by sheer time and effort it would stand as you could, so long as it involves an attack otherwise it can no longer be a charge.

emoplato

First Post
Pounce = Charge; Charge = full round action.

It seems pretty clear to me too.
Charge=full round
Pounce=full attack at end of charge
Full attack=no move action
Standard action allows a move action before or after within a round.
Full attack requires more time and effort than a standard action therefore you can use a standard action so long as it is an attack. Unless there is a rule out there that fits in breaking this.

Wyvernhand

First Post
You CAN charge in a round where you are unable to make a full round action, though. If you were in a surprise round, or if you were Slowed, or you were a Zombie (who only gets a standard action per turn), you can still charge. You are just limited to 1x movement instead of 2. It's still a charge though, for all intents and purposes, and would thus allow you to make a full attack if you did have Pounce.

SRD said:
If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.

Empirate

First Post

No, you cannot make a martial strike if that strike doesn't explicitly involve charging. If that's what you're asking. Otherwise, why would you want to make a "standard action that involves an attack" on a charge, instead of a full attack?

Anyway, charging is pretty well defined, as is pounce. Maybe if you'd tell us what you want to do on a charge (that involves an attack and is normally a standard action), we might be able to help you with that.

emoplato

First Post
No, you cannot make a martial strike if that strike doesn't explicitly involve charging. If that's what you're asking. Otherwise, why would you want to make a "standard action that involves an attack" on a charge, instead of a full attack?

Anyway, charging is pretty well defined, as is pounce. Maybe if you'd tell us what you want to do on a charge (that involves an attack and is normally a standard action), we might be able to help you with that.
Well, I am just wondering theoretically but I guess I could give examples. If a person had pounce outside of maneuvers and was a martial adept could he use one of his strike maneuvers instead of a full attack? Another one I could think of is using spring attack instead of a full attack to move past an opponent while attacking.

Last edited:

Remove ads