• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Power attack bonus x2 for 2 hand weps

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
IME, it's usually B (although sometimes it's A in large numbers which allow them to pose a threat together that they wouldn't alone--large and huge zombies are an example of this).

And in situation B, Expertise only helps if your AC is high enough to cause them trouble to begin with. If you're an 8th level fighter up against a dire bear or Greater Earth Elemental for instance, you can pump your AC from 22 to 27 with expertise and it won't make much difference. You're usually better off pumping up your damage and hoping to kill it a round or two earlier.

Mike Sullivan said:
If you're significantly overhitting your opponent at 8th level, there are two possibilities: first, that they aren't a melee challenge at all (either not a challenge at all, or spellcasters or whatever), in which case it probably doesn't matter too much whether or not you hit for 18 or 21 damage, on average. Second, that they make up for their lack of defensive ability by pouring on the offense, in which case Expertise might be a better use of your extraneous attack bonus.

Bobbystopholes

First Post
The man's a genious!

*goes to play D&D with his new two-hander using paladin*

SMITE + Power Attack + Divine Might (20cha) + lv.8 paladin + keen greatsword/animated large metal sheild = XD

You forgot Divine Sacrifice. Jeesh! You gave up a ton of points on that.

So, let's see, you smite once per day, you spent almost all of you money on an animated shield so you couldn't afford the keen greatsword. Hrm, I don't see this happening ;)

At higher levels anything is abusable if you build your character that way.

Seule

Explorer
Bobbystopholes said:

You forgot Divine Sacrifice. Jeesh! You gave up a ton of points on that.

You also forgot to use a lance with Spirited Charge.
Each -1 to hit adds +6 to damage, wielding your lance two-handed, +10 on a critical. Now that's efficiency.

--Seule

El_Gringo

First Post
My inner munchkin is thinking of the possibilities.

Level 1 Half-Orc Fighter

Str: 20

Feats: Power Attack, Weapon Focus: Scythe

Damage on a Power Attack Critical Hit: 8d4+36. (avg. 56)

Average Crit Causing Massive Damage at 1st level: Priceless.

:D

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
IME, it's usually B (although sometimes it's A in large numbers which allow them to pose a threat together that they wouldn't alone--large and huge zombies are an example of this).

And in situation B, Expertise only helps if your AC is high enough to cause them trouble to begin with. If you're an 8th level fighter up against a dire bear or Greater Earth Elemental for instance, you can pump your AC from 22 to 27 with expertise and it won't make much difference. You're usually better off pumping up your damage and hoping to kill it a round or two earlier.

you and your zombies :D

Honestly I guess its very campaign dependent, but I run my gorups against lots of things that are of a lower CR than the party but in numbers. Like maybe a 6 pack of orc barbarian 6's, with a cleric 8 maye thrown into the mix. Not an astoundingly difficult challenge for a group of level 9-10ish, but not weak either.

The ACs for these guys are around 15-16 dropping when they rage.

The fighter might have +18 to hit on the 1st attack power attack pays off here.

I really don't have a big problem with the new PA, but I'm not sure PA really needed a boost in campaigns like mine.

Personally I wanted fighter types to get a bigger boost in that I think there should of been more high level feats than imporved WF and WS. I want feats with 15 BAB and higher prereqs, wth a couple feats added in for the pre-reqs and I wanted these feats too kick butt.

I probably would of kept PA the same its a level 1 no real prereq feat(with maybe limiting off hand attacks to 2 bab for a +1), I then would of had a improved PA with a higher str min and a bab min, and a supreme PA with an even high Str and bab pre req. the improved would be at the 2 for 1 level and the supreme at the 3 for 1 level.

Mike Sullivan

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:
Personally I wanted fighter types to get a bigger boost in that I think there should of been more high level feats than imporved WF and WS. I want feats with 15 BAB and higher prereqs, wth a couple feats added in for the pre-reqs and I wanted these feats too kick butt.

I totally agree. It seems pretty obvious how to do it, though, right?

Really Darn Good Weapon Focus
Prerequisite: Fighter level 16
Benefit: +1 to hit with chosen weapon. This stacks with WF and GWF.
Special: This feat can be chosen multiple times, when it is, it applies to different weapons blah-blah-blah.

Really Darn Good Weapon Specialization
Prerequisite: Fighter level 20
Benefit: +2 to damage with chosen weapon. This stacks with WS and GWS
Special: This feat can be chosen multiple times, when it is, it applies to different weapons blah-blah-blah.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
what you want me to get off my butt and do things myself?

What am I paying hasbro for, then. :D

I might put something together, but since I'm probably starting a new AU campaign I can wait and see what the compleate warrior has in it. Hopefully high level fighter type feats.

El_Gringo

First Post
Mike Sullivan said:
El Gringo:

Why wait? That'll work right now.

The same character will average 52 points of damage on a crit under 3.0 rules.

Must...resist...

Hmm.. maybe if I could create a convincing backstory for the character...

Remove ads