• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Power Cards for whining players or DMs

jontherev

First Post
Just for fun, I put these together for our group, but I thought I'd share in case anyone gets a laugh or even would like to use them...or if they inspire you to make your own.

Background: Our group has played together since 2000 when 3rd edition came out. We started, as a joke, to pass around a notecard with the word "Whine" written on it whenever a player (and sometimes DM) starts whining about the way the game is going. I thought it would be funny to actually create power cards to translate this idea and maybe even incorporate it into the game as a humorous aside. This may only be funny to me and my group, and that's ok.

Anyway, I hope some of you get a kick out of this. I'm bringing these to our session on Thursday and we'll see whether or not the DM wants to use them...if anyone has other ideas, feel free to post them.

I did these using the magic set creator originally and then exported the images to Word and cropped them.

EDIT: If you want the rar file to view in MSE, just scroll down to post #7.

Attachments

• Power Cards for Whiners.doc
    839.5 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:

jontherev

First Post
Thanks. My personal fave is the "This is BS!" card as an Immediate OverReaction. I also forgot to explain the South Park reference in the last card for those who don't watch it. Cartman is a character on South Park. Like I said, this was catered to our group, but I'm sure many of you got the reference anyways.

These are great. Hmmm, however, since there seem to be only 3 cards (at least in what I downloaded), I'll add the daily (or encounter) power "Waaagh! I don't have enough cards to do anything!"

Any chance of uploading the MSE-set file for these?

Highland Raider

jontherev

First Post
There should be five of them. I just downloaded it myself and they are all there. I will try to uploaded the mse-set, but I'm not sure if my trial version of winrar is still working and I don't have a website to upload it to. If there's an easier way to do this, let me know.

Your idea could actually work better as, "Waaagh! I've Used all my Powers!";) You could go in 2 different directions: either mentioning being screwed by the DM who tied 2 encounters together OR as an attack against an ally who just did something majorly stupid (like opening a door before the end of the encounter and bringing fresh new monsters to battle). If the latter, the card could be used in conjunction with the "You're doing WHAT?!?" card.

The only problem I've run into is I don't know how to change the font to the power card title, so I've been limited to the number of characters I can use in the title.

WampusCat43

Explorer
Well played, sir. *tips hat*

Don't forget "I liked the way 3e did it better". You could mine one of the 36,000 such threads on this site for days.

wagenejm

First Post
There should be five of them. I just downloaded it myself and they are all there. I will try to uploaded the mse-set, but I'm not sure if my trial version of winrar is still working and I don't have a website to upload it to. If there's an easier way to do this, let me know.

Step 1: Dump WinRAR.
Step 2: Download 7-Zip.
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit.

jontherev

First Post
Step 1: Dump WinRAR.
Step 2: Download 7-Zip.
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit.

Thanks, I'll try that if I have a need to.

BTW, just created a new card called, "That's Unnatural Stoppage!", which is something one of our players yelled out spontaneously one evening when I was DMing our last 3.5 campaign. He was *trying* to roll his dice and was shaking them around when they shot out like a cannon and hit my DM screen. I think he rolled a 1, but in any case, it was really low and he missed. He got so mad that I wouldn't let him reroll, claiming it was "unnatural stoppage". My argument to him was that if he had rolled high, he would not have said anything and taken the result. Now, it's a recurring joke in our group. Anyway, although it's once again custom fit for our group, I'll bet that others may have had a similar situation to ours and might be able to use the card. So, I'll update my rar, probably tomorrow.

We'll see what happens tonight when I bring the cards.

When/If I DM again, I plan to use these as house rules myself. I just need to define what defenses the DM has, which for now I think I will use the best stats of the strongest monster in the encounter. Anyway, I'm glad some of you got a kick out of some of these.

Remove ads