• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Power Combo Question

beldar1215

Explorer
The following power combination seems to make a very powerful healer. I am concerned as a DM that it may be being used incorrectly. Round 1 priest casts daily utility stream of life- takes 5 ongoing damage- heals party member for 15pts. Round 2 cleric takes 5 ongoing casts daily consecrated ground. In subsequent rounds cleric will take 5 ongoing until bloodied and then the consecrated ground healing 1 plus cha bonus(+4) offsets that damage and the cleric can use the stream of life to heal a party member within range for another 15pts. It is a minor action to sustain the consecrated ground, still leaving the cleric a standard and a move action to do whatever else he wants.

Does this sound like it is being used correctly? Seem a little overpowered to me.

Beldar

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
And two Daily resources when used correctly can kick your encounter's ass. I know when I design my encounter modules for my players... there always a pretty good chance that against my BBEG, my warlord will hit on Lead The Attack and give all players +6 to hit for the encounter, and my paladin player will get off her Wrath Of The Gods while the party is bunched up and give them all +6 to damage.

So against my supposed heavy hitter, every PC is rolling +6 / +6 to hit and damage. Overpowered? As the DM of that fight it sure feels like it... but I also realize that it's just for that one encounter. And I have to just remember that for next time and perhaps make the non-BBEG fights a bit more difficult enough that saving their Dailies for that final fight is not a given.

firesnakearies

Explorer
Sounds like the correct usage to me. It's definitely very powerful, but not overpowered, I'd say. It's two dailies being used, and the cleric is going to be hovering at bloodied and having to stay in the zone and spend an action to sustain the zone. So the cleric is pretty vulnerable. Focused fire on the cleric or applying action-denying conditions to him will be a good counter.

Also, if the encounter's tough enough that the players feel the need to pull out this once-a-day combo to get through it, then you're doing something right anyway. Even if it ends up slightly trivializing that one encounter, that's okay. Just knowing that they had to use their once-a-day really cool healing gambit should provide adequate tension and the feel of having had a meaningful encounter.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
And two Daily resources when used correctly can kick your encounter's ass. I know when I design my encounter modules for my players... there always a pretty good chance that against my BBEG, my warlord will hit on Lead The Attack and give all players +6 to hit for the encounter, and my paladin player will get off her Wrath Of The Gods while the party is bunched up and give them all +6 to damage.

So against my supposed heavy hitter, every PC is rolling +6 / +6 to hit and damage. Overpowered? As the DM of that fight it sure feels like it... but I also realize that it's just for that one encounter. And I have to just remember that for next time and perhaps make the non-BBEG fights a bit more difficult enough that saving their Dailies for that final fight is not a given.

Or, you could make them THINK that it is the BBEG fight. Next Encounter, the REAL BBEG fight starts. Bet they pee in their pants over that. ;)

Monster powers like Lead from the Rear are nice for this as well.

You attacked the BBEG with Lead The Attack, no sorry, you actually attacked his minion Advisor. Everyone has +6 to hit the minion Advisor who is dead anyway. :lol:

And, Lead The Attack will eventually be errata-ed. Nearly every power that adds an ability score modifier to D20 rolls eventually will, Daily or no Daily.

firesnakearies

Explorer
Or, you could make them THINK that it is the BBEG fight. Next Encounter, the REAL BBEG fight starts. Bet they pee in their pants over that. ;)

Monster powers like Lead from the Rear are nice for this as well.

You attacked the BBEG with Lead The Attack, no sorry, you actually attacked his minion Advisor. Everyone has +6 to hit the minion Advisor who is dead anyway. :lol:

And, Lead The Attack will eventually be errata-ed. Nearly every power that adds an ability score modifier to D20 rolls eventually will, Daily or no Daily.

This seems overly adversarial to me, personally. I'd rather make the players feel challenged without making them feel cheated.

jester_gl

First Post
This reminds me of the first BBG fight I DM in 4th edition, against a bunch of minion led by a shaman. That ability to redirect an attack to an adjacent lower level goblin was really useful, but then I set the wizard up for that. The entire combat moved around the room, finally creating a direct clean line between the wizard and the goblin shaman. One acid arrow later, and that player really hated me for redirecting his arrow on the minion. Everybody was laughing because he fell directly into my trap.

Remove ads