• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Power Ideas

duo963

First Post
A while back, my friends and I sat down and created a template character sheet that loosely mixes d20 and the white-wolf dot system. With this, we have played several super hero based games. Recently, one of my friends started up an x-men game, and I have the power of time manipulation.
What I am trying to do here is pick peoples brains for creative and/or unorthodox ways to use the power.
The ones that I have come up with are: Speeding up/slowing down myself/opponents/allies, creating a pocket where time is slower (to negate projectiles), time travel (obviously), using it to heal by reversing the body back to before it got injured, using it as a form of ESP to avoid being ambushed, and aging things and/or people.
I have searched through comic book characters with the same power to see how they use it, and I have also briefly looked through the rote libraries for Mage. Even if it is a bit of a stretch, any new ideas would be greatly appreciated.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Damage: Age the target's heart / muscles 1,000 years in an instant (or regress them to infancy).

Super-Speed: "pause" time for yourself (and maybe allies) allowing for hundreds of hours of action in a single second. Allows for extensive travel, a chance to heal non-fatal damage, extended construction, and peeking into the locker rooms of your choice in an instant.
Expanded use: Super-Strength: Do the super-speed thing, but don't let the object being lifted (or punched) be included - now you can help yourself lift it, until you have the might of as many of yourself can join in.

Post-Cognition (instantly solve all mysteries) / Pre-Cognition (sense ambushes, always know when you need to be somewhere to stop trouble, etc.)

Instant Climbing: go to when the object isn't there, then just stand on it until you get back to the time you want to be at.

Disintegration: Age target object into dust. Reversible: regress it to normal (this could be applied to your damaging power use).

Basically, you have the ability to do whatever the hell you can think of - time control can be used to do anything ever, except -maybe- flight. (I haven't thought of how to use it to fly, but someone else might.)

jefgorbach

First Post
Basically, you have the ability to do whatever the hell you can think of - time control can be used to do anything ever, except -maybe- flight. (I haven't thought of how to use it to fly, but someone else might.)

Since gravity is merely the term used to explain why Mass-A "falls" towards Mass-B over a period of TIME, conceivably you could simulate flying (and even gravity negation) by simply adjusting your rate of fall from the Earth standard 32ft per second to whatever distance per unit of time desired.

duo963

First Post
The damage muscles and aging thing ive thought of. However, not flight. It is an interesting thought, but I doubt I'd be able to get anything more out of it than possibly gliding or slower falling. It's definately worth a shot to try and get though.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
And now someone has figured out how to turn time control into a gliding form of flight.
And you can extend that reasoning to an initial leap, allowing the PC to jump miles by slowing the effects of gravity on both his launch and his descent. Though walking at super-speed is still a more effective form of overland travel, the leaping is great for canyons and walls.

Cor Azer

First Post
How fine tuned is your character's time manipulation? 'Cause really, time manipulation (as opposed to a specific variant like superspeed) is really one of those "omnipotent" powers.

Slow time enough around someone and they become blind and deaf.
Create a "tube" of sped up time to have the full force of our eventual nova'ed sun fry some baddie.
Change into your costume in a phone booth.
Lifelong learning by repeatedly rewinding time to get multiple post-secondary degrees.
Earn billions on stocks/gambling.
Switch places with foes after they've fired ranged attacks.
Expanding on the basics of the superstrength idea above - if your ability can handle paradoxes choose a time/place (literally, same time) to always return to after missions; after you've gone there at least twice, you'll have multiple versions of yourself. Always send the "newest" arrival on missions, and if he doesn't return, he probably was killed/incapacitated, so send the next "newest" to rescue him, etc. Essentially, create multiple copies of yourself.

Last edited:

duo963

First Post
Obviously, the power won't be able to reach omnipotence to the god-like degree. I'm almost certain that the super strength/paradoxal ideas won't go over too well with my GM, though i do appreciate the input on all parts. It's given me quite a few new ways to go about using time

Remove ads