• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Power Level of "Raise Stat to 19" Items

Stalker0

Legend
In general I have found most items in 5e to be decently balanced. Not perfect, but few things "raise my eye brow".

My main exception are the various items that raise a stat to 19. I feel like these items are very OP as an uncommon item...and is more of a "very rare" power level. For example, its not hard for a character with a 12-14 con to go to 19....effectively a +4-+6 in a stat....that's 2-3 feats worth of power.

On the other hand, attunement is an important constraint.

So what do you all think? Are the items fine as is, or do you agree to a higher spot on the rarity scale?

They're attunement items, which have limited slots. They can be shut down by anti-magic. They can be stolen or taken away. I think they balance okay for now.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
For the most part they aren't a big deal.

If your primary stat is Str you are probably already going to have a 16 in that stat - so Gauntlets of Ogre Power only grant a +1 to hit/dam - the same as a +1 weapon, which is also uncommon.

If you are a wizard, you are probably already going to have a 16+ int, and the Headband of Intellect is likewise a +1 buff.

Some characters will only have a 12 or 14 in their primary stat, and in that case the Gauntlets or Headband would be more valuable. But it's a pretty uncommon occurrence.

The 19 stat items give a bigger boost to characters who don't have a high stat in that attribute, but in most cases the boost will be worth less because it's in an area that isn't used much by their class.

Naturally, there are edge cases where this doesn't hold true, but every magic item will have some character builds that benefit from it more than others.

Runny

First Post
For the most part they aren't a big deal.

If your primary stat is Str you are probably already going to have a 16 in that stat - so Gauntlets of Ogre Power only grant a +1 to hit/dam - the same as a +1 weapon, which is also uncommon.

If you are a wizard, you are probably already going to have a 16+ int, and the Headband of Intellect is likewise a +1 buff.

Some characters will only have a 12 or 14 in their primary stat, and in that case the Gauntlets or Headband would be more valuable. But it's a pretty uncommon occurrence.

The 19 stat items give a bigger boost to characters who don't have a high stat in that attribute, but in most cases the boost will be worth less because it's in an area that isn't used much by their class.

Naturally, there are edge cases where this doesn't hold true, but every magic item will have some character builds that benefit from it more than others.

They are more of a problem for people that can choose magic items, and thus build a character with one of them in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caliban

Rules Monkey
They are more of a problem for people that can choose magic items, and thus build a character with one of them in mind.

Sure. But that's not how it's supposed to work - no magic item shops in 5e. So they don't use "I can pick the perfect item for my character" as a factor in determining rarity.

So of course, Adventure League throws that out the window. In AL you can learn what magic items drop from which modules or trade for them, or purchase them from your faction. AL isn't normal D&D. :p

Runny

First Post
Sure. But that's not how it's supposed to work - no magic item shops in 5e. So they don't use "I can pick the perfect item for my character" as a factor in determining rarity.

So of course, Adventure League throws that out the window. In AL you can learn what magic items drop from which modules or trade for them, or purchase them from your faction. AL isn't normal D&D. :p

Alas. Too true.

Tony Vargas

Legend
In general I have found most items in 5e to be decently balanced. Not perfect, but few things "raise my eye brow".
Then I'd say 'be happy,' you're way ahead of the curve. ;)

My main exception are the various items that raise a stat to 19. I feel like these items are very OP as an uncommon item...
The idea of 5e is that magic makes you 'just better.' Like getting a +3 sword, you're hitting like your STR (or DEX if it's a rapier) was 6 points higher! A 19 stat boosts your bonus to +4. If it's a stat that's of any use to your class or 'build,' it's probably 14 or higher, already, so that's like a +1 or 2 modifier. If you have a relatively low stat, +/- 1 modifier, it's a much bigger boost, but probably to a much less important stat, it may open up things you'd normally avoid - a rogue who suddenly has 19 STR can kick in doors as well as pick locks - but, in general, doesn't sound any scarier than a +2 item, say...

Xeviat

Hero
No offense to those that have said it, but “they can be stolen or lost” is a terrible excuse. So, if they prove to be OP, you can take them away?

Remind me, is there a 19 Con item?

Personally I think the primary problem comes from the aforementioned +4 CON item (and to a lesser extent +4 DEX). Most of the time giving the wizard a 19 CHA or the thief a 19 INT isn't going to unbalance their character. But lots of people would love a large bonus to HP without paying for it. So don't place one or make it easy to acquire.

If you deliberately built your warlock with an 8 CHA because you knew you'd get a 19 CHA item, well, that's powergamery.

Dausuul

Legend
Personally I think the primary problem comes from the aforementioned +4 CON item (and to a lesser extent +4 DEX). Most of the time giving the wizard a 19 CHA or the thief a 19 INT isn't going to unbalance their character. But lots of people would love a large bonus to HP without paying for it.

That's why the +Con item is rare while the +Int and +Str items are uncommon.

Remove ads