• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Power Lunge Question

Aithne

First Post
Does Power Lunge stack with the two-handed weapon damage multiplier?

If I had a +4 str bonus and charged would I be doing +6 (+4 x 1.5) +8 (+4 x 2) = +14 damage?

Aithne

Dash Dannigan

First Post
The attack's damage would be that of the weapon you used. Power Lunge allows you to add double your strength score to this damage instead of your normal strength damage on a charge. So as in your example a +4 Str (x1.5 for two-handed use) would have a +6 str to damage. On a charge using the power lunge would give a total bonus of +12 to damage.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I disagree.

The feat says you add double your normal Strength modifier, regardless of whether you are using a one-handed or two-handed weapon.

One handed weapon - add your normal Str modifier.
Two handed weapon - add 1.5x your normal Str modifier.
Power Lunge - add 2x your normal Str modifier, regardless of whether you are using a one-handed or two-handed weapon.

-Hyp.

Aithne

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
I disagree.

The feat says you add double your normal Strength modifier, regardless of whether you are using a one-handed or two-handed weapon.

One handed weapon - add your normal Str modifier.
Two handed weapon - add 1.5x your normal Str modifier.
Power Lunge - add 2x your normal Str modifier, regardless of whether you are using a one-handed or two-handed weapon.

-Hyp.

Well if they are all strength modifiers then they do not stack.

Aithne

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Well if they are all strength modifiers then they do not stack.

I'm not suggesting they do.

14 Str with a longsword one-handed: 1d8+2.
14 Str with a longsword two-handed: 1d8+3.
14 Str with a longsword and Power Lunge: 1d8+4, regardless of whether you are using a one-handed or two-handed weapon.

-Hyp.

Zephalon

First Post
I disagree. Why should Power Lunge treat a two-handed weapon similar to a one-handed weapon? Power Lunge means that you are trained to deliver more force with your charge. It should be better with weapons designed for this, i.e. TH-Weapons.

1.5*STR for TH-Weapons and 2*STR from Power Lunge should stack because they come from totally different sources.

As in the example above it's +12 for a STR+4 fighter wielding a TH-Weapon. And it's not unbalanced because it just really matters on a charge. Compare it to the feat Headlong Rush from Races of Faerun which deals double damage on a charge.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I disagree. Why should Power Lunge treat a two-handed weapon similar to a one-handed weapon?

Because the feat description says so?

If they omitted that phrase, I'd agree with you. But it specifically says that the benefit is the same, regardless of how many hands you use.

-Hyp.

Still, I'd happily support a house rule in favor of stacking. It certainly seems conceptually appropriate, and I do think that much of the appeal of two-handed weapons comes with getting more bonus damage relative to your strength. At this point, I think the feat favors one-handed weapons more than it probably ought to.

Aithne

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Because the feat description says so?

If they omitted that phrase, I'd agree with you. But it specifically says that the benefit is the same, regardless of how many hands you use.

-Hyp.

Even if they omitted the phrase the str modifiers do not stack, thus not allowing power lunge damage to be added to two-handed damage.

Aithne

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads