• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Power Lunge

Winternight

First Post
Prereq.: BAB +3, Power Attack
Benefit: A successful attack roll during a charge allows you to inflict double your normal Strength modifier in addition to the attack's damage. You provoke an attack of opportunity from the opponent you charged.

Do I understand that correctly
I have str 18 - modifier 4
I have a battle axe - damage 1d12+6
I charge
damage 1d12+6
I power lunge:
1d12+6+8

attacks damage: {1.5xstr+d12}
+ 2xstr (Power lunge)

woa!

The Souljourner

First Post
It's unclear exactly what the feat is supposed to do. I'm not sure it was cleared up in the errata. I think most people treat it as the usual D&D doubling, which is just to add 1 to the current multiplier. So with a two handed weapon it becomes 2.5 times strength bonus on charge, and one handed weapons become 2.0 times strength bonus. At least that seems to be both the most fair and most balanced interpretation.

-The Souljourner

FrankTrollman

First Post
Yep.

When you double the strength bonus you add one to the multiplier. So in your example the damage would be 1d12 + 10 damage.

Note also that you provoke an attack of opportunity with that - but if you use a weapon of greater reach than your opponent's you can power lunge without fear.

Thus, it is more common to see Power Lunge used with Glaives and Lucern Hammers than with Great Axes and Great Swords.

-Frank

AGGEMAM

First Post
Have you remembered to check out the SnF errata?

Your damage in your case will be d12+8.

Twice normal strength mod is 8, regardless of whether you are using one or two handed weapons.

FrankTrollman

First Post
Someone's forgetting D&D math.

Your normal strength modifier is +4.

Strength Modifier is usually multiplied by 1.5 before applying other modifiers when you are using a two handed weapon.

If you apply multiple multipliers, add each multiplier together at -1.0.

So without the clause "double normal strength modifier" it would be +12 (because strength modifier usually gets multiplied by the THW modifier before applying other modifiers). With the "double normal strength modifier" provision it becomes +10.

At no time does the eratta remove the Two Handed Weapon modifier - nor should it because that wouldn't make any sense (as there are some weapons which can be used one or two handed).

-Frank

Dwarmaj

First Post
Power Lunge was errata'd so that it replaces the strength related portion of the damage. You do x2 your Str Mod whether you're charging with a greatsword or a dagger.

FrankTrollman

First Post
Which is odd because what it says is "add double the normal strength bonus".

It doesn't say "replaces the strength bonus".

Queries to the author were made about this, and yes, the math posted above is correct.

Even, nay, especially in the eratta it is poorly written, but it doesn't say that it replaces the strength modifier and it doesn't.

-Frank

mikebr99

Explorer
[hyjack] Picture a power attacking, two-handed Greatsword weilding, Fleetrunner of Elhonna (Full att. during a charge)!!![/hyjack]

ok... return to your regularly scheduled thread.

;)

Mike

Remove ads