• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Power of Skill - is it as broken as I think it is?

urzafrank

First Post
This feat is not even overpowered. It is much less powerful than reapers touch which has not caused one problem in our games and games i have seen. This seems a bit like "chicken little"

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I actively like interesting opportunity attacks and charges... and call reapers touch "Conjurers Blade" its on my favorite flavors list (there is a wing at the Spell Blade college just for sorcerors and wizards and warlocks)

In terms of visualizing more advanced abilities becoming basic attacks
Martial Arts teachers mention all the time that kata and practice in general is about repeating something so you can eventually do them without thought... and is one of the reasons why even with inferior reflexes an older more experienced fighter will respond faster... not even because they know different tricks... but rather because they have integrated them.

Its fun and at-wills are likely overshadowed by encounter and daily combos anyway so I just like it.

Orcus Porkus

First Post
This feat is not even overpowered. It is much less powerful than reapers touch which has not caused one problem in our games and games i have seen. This seems a bit like "chicken little"

chicken little, haha. Well I've played D&D long enough to know that the combos I showed are definitely not chicken little. If DPR and novas is all that counts, yes, they might be chicken little.

corncob

First Post
chicken little, haha. Well I've played D&D long enough to know that the combos I showed are definitely not chicken little. If DPR and novas is all that counts, yes, they might be chicken little.
You're missing the forest for the trees. The problem isn't Power of Skill, it's Righteous Brand. Allowing players to use it as a MBA is almost superfluous.

BobTheNob

First Post
Keep in mind also that the question is "Is power of skill broker?" not "Is power of skill broken in that I can also get feature X, power Y, PP Z...".

Yes, I think it is powerful if you stack it together with other things in a certain way, but in this it is not unlike one of many features. I put together a polearm warrior/reaper/enternal defender, and when I looked at the potential damage he did combining HBO, Cleave, polearm gamle and agile opportunist against many oppoenents, I laughed out loud. That required a unique combination of parts, none of which we individually broken, but collectively produced some spectacular results.

So if Power of skill a good(powerful) ability? Yes (in fact, I would put it best domain power).

Is Power of skill broken? No. Does it enable devestating combinations with synergised with other abilities? Yes.

... but that just puts it in the same realm as many other game features.

Turtlejay

First Post
Keep in mind also that the question is "Is power of skill broker?" not "Is power of skill broken in that I can also get feature X, power Y, PP Z...".

Yes, I think it is powerful if you stack it together with other things in a certain way, but in this it is not unlike one of many features. I put together a polearm warrior/reaper/enternal defender, and when I looked at the potential damage he did combining HBO, Cleave, polearm gamle and agile opportunist against many oppoenents, I laughed out loud. That required a unique combination of parts, none of which we individually broken, but collectively produced some spectacular results.

So if Power of skill a good(powerful) ability? Yes (in fact, I would put it best domain power).

Is Power of skill broken? No. Does it enable devestating combinations with synergised with other abilities? Yes.

... but that just puts it in the same realm as many other game features.

I agree with you 100%. This is how I feel about most of the things touted as broken (or even the reverse, underpowered). I am afraid to post it, though, because the logical counterattack is that the game does not exist in a vacuum, and all of the parts have to be considered when you evaluate something.

I don't agree, and I think that the charop and powergaming side of things grossly exaggerates the powerful elements of the game. Yes, I understand that in a situation like LFR folks can and do bring hideous game breaking builds because the social contract is not there.

In most cases, though, I think stuff like this just doesn't happen. It is not like you can win d&d. If you manage to break it, then you just lost, in my opinion.

Jay

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, imho, while it may not be overpowered it is clearly out of line when compared with the other Domain Feats. That alone ie reason enough to consider modifying or not allowing it in a game. The alternative would be upgrading every other domain feat...

BobTheNob

First Post
Well, imho, while it may not be overpowered it is clearly out of line when compared with the other Domain Feats. That alone ie reason enough to consider modifying or not allowing it in a game. The alternative would be upgrading every other domain feat...
I think its very interesting for the possibilities it creates. If someone wanted to argue that Righteous Brand was OP, you wouldn't get an argument from me, and when you combine it with this, yes, it would be deadly.

But I can also see interesting use of it. The avenger power would be a fascinating ability because of its ability to allow movement outside of your turn. I think thats powerful, but first and foremost...I think its cool.

My own personnel assessment would be that this is powerful, but its one of those wonderful little tidbits that allows players to create interesting an unique combinations. Its a power that is only powerful IF it synergises. Its a catalyst feat.

How many "You get +X to value Y" feat can you accumulated before you are beggining to yawn? But this...this is the chilli in the con-carn, the salt with the tequila, the anchovies on your pizza. That thing that takes the ordinary and gives it some spice.

Its powerful, but Im a fan

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think its very interesting for the possibilities it creates. If someone wanted to argue that Righteous Brand was OP, you wouldn't get an argument from me, and when you combine it with this, yes, it would be deadly.

But I can also see interesting use of it. The avenger power would be a fascinating ability because of its ability to allow movement outside of your turn. I think thats powerful, but first and foremost...I think its cool.

My own personnel assessment would be that this is powerful, but its one of those wonderful little tidbits that allows players to create interesting an unique combinations. Its a power that is only powerful IF it synergises. Its a catalyst feat.

How many "You get +X to value Y" feat can you accumulated before you are beggining to yawn? But this...this is the chilli in the con-carn, the salt with the tequila, the anchovies on your pizza. That thing that takes the ordinary and gives it some spice.

Its powerful, but Im a fan

Me three :D
Many of the domains don't seem that interesting... lets hunt through and gimp the couple that are.. sure sounds fun. NOT.

This shores up hybridizing too. Hybridizing is kind of limited unless there are indeed extra synergies like this and the Arena feats.?

Remove ads