• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Power Source / Role Query

EATherrian

First Post
As it appears now, each Power Source has one of each Role attached to it. I was wondering if there was a possibility of multiple roles tied to one power source, i.e. Two separate Martial Striker classes. If this is already answered, could someone guide me there. I did a search but didn't find it.

Knight Otu

First Post
You've actually chosen the exact example from the core rules - there are two martial strikers in the PHB, the rogue (apparently specialized in melee/skill) and the ranger (ranged).

Wolfwood2

Explorer
EATherrian said:
As it appears now, each Power Source has one of each Role attached to it.

Um, no. No it doesn't appear that way at all. Quite the contrary, some power sources have multiple of the same role or none of one role. For example, there's only going to be one Controller in the core rules, and that's a wizard. No divine or martial controllers.

VBMEW-01

First Post
As above

The way I see it, there is really no limit at all as long as each class is distinctive within the role. And imagine all of the other possible power sources out there. This is a game that could have both the versatility and replayability of 3E beaten.

EATherrian

First Post
Duh. I guess I didn't search well enough. As an additional question to make this thread worth while and still within the realm of the topic, has there been any indication on the mechanics of Power Sources and maybe how to make our own?

Vayden

First Post
Power sources are thematic guidelines for flavor/design purposes. There are no mechanics involved. Go crazy, make up all the ones you want.

Thyrwyn

Explorer
My impression has been the same as Vayden's. There has been some speculation regarding a "Primal" or "Nature" Power source for Druids and Barbarians (maybe?). Psionic or Psychic is another that I think we are pretty likely to see. Then there's the Monk. . .

VBMEW-01

First Post
And "shadow" is mentioned, I think, in WM. I've been tinkering with a few of my own of late, for later implementation. The biggest challenge here would be making it unique and creating versatility through classes of different roles. Plus a huge list of powers will be a bit intimidating.

Good clean fun though

DreamChaser

Explorer
EATherrian said:
Duh. I guess I didn't search well enough. As an additional question to make this thread worth while and still within the realm of the topic, has there been any indication on the mechanics of Power Sources and maybe how to make our own?

They have given some indication of mechanical effects...

For example, the divine power source appears to be the home of power "categories" that draw from a single source but have varied effects. Divine Channeling is a key example. Divine channeling is an encounter power but during each encounter, the cleric has 2-3 different ways he can possibly use it.

Both arcane classes have a power that acts as a basic ranged attack. This is not something seen in either divine or marital classes thus far. (It would be interesting if the spellsword had a "spellblade power or feature" that functioned as a basic melee attack.)

Martial classes seem to have powers that are tied either to a weapon or a skill (esp. for rogues). I can't think of any that don't relate to one or the other.

So, there are some mechanical "flavor" differences. They don't affect the balance of the powers but they do help make a common core mechanic feel distinct for each type of class.

DC

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads