• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Power-storing (eg: Armor of Exploits) questions

webrunner

First Post
Hello

Just to make sure I understand these items:
1- You dont have to be of the power source the armor gives you in order to use the power, correct? A Wizard could make use of the Armor of Exploits to use a fighter power if they have a weapon that lets them be able to use it, correct?
2- There's no reason to ever store your own at-wills even if you are, eg, a Rogue wearing Armor of Exploits, as you can just use it anyway, correct?
3- If you store a power, and then retrain that power so you no longer have it, you can 'save' it for later someday when you might need it, correct, as long as you don't explicitly replace it, also correct?
4- Could you then, get a bunch of them and store old powers into them, pulling them out the days they're needed? Silly, but possible?

Maleketh

First Post
1. Correct.
2. Correct.
3. I think that's correct by RAW, but you might check with your DM before pulling a stunt like that.
4. I suppose, although as you point out, that's very silly.

DracoSuave

First Post
One thing to consider. You only add half your level to the attack bonuses of powers you know according to this. So if you switch out the power, you no longer know it and lose out on half your level.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
One thing to consider. You only add half your level to the attack bonuses of powers you know according to this. So if you switch out the power, you no longer know it and lose out on half your level.

Hmm... after reading that, although I know it is the word from on high, it doesn't seem very well thought out.

Basically, its saying that you don't get your 1/2 level bonus unless its a power you know. So, if it is a non-power (like alchemical items), no level bonus.

Shouldn't that mean that no one should get their half level to attacks of opportunity? They are no more powers than are alchemical items. That seems... wrong.

Additionally, doesn't it kind of the defeat the purpose of having a wand that uses a power you don't know, if you can never hit with it?

As DM, I don't think I'll be playing it that way...

Dr. Ruminahui - shrink with a spear

webrunner

First Post
Basically, its saying that you don't get your 1/2 level bonus unless its a power you know. So, if it is a non-power (like alchemical items), no level bonus.

Shouldn't that mean that no one should get their half level to attacks of opportunity? They are no more powers than are alchemical items. That seems... wrong.

Well, Melee Basic Attack is defined as a power in the PHB (one that presumably everyone 'knows')

DracoSuave

First Post
Hmm... after reading that, although I know it is the word from on high, it doesn't seem very well thought out.

Additionally, doesn't it kind of the defeat the purpose of having a wand that uses a power you don't know, if you can never hit with it?

As DM, I don't think I'll be playing it that way...

1) the Basic attacks -are- powers, and are known by every creature. So that's a moot point.

2) Yeah, it is kinda dumb like that. I'da ruled because it doesn't have an attribute, it doesn't use the character's base attack bonus, and therefore 1/2 level does not apply. But that makes sense.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Where as my respone would be that, from looking at the alchemical items, that they are a unique type where all appropriate bonuses are already included in the item entry.

Saying that its because they aren't "powers" is a kludge, IMHO, and isn't very helpful. There are plenty of circumstances (skill checks, attribute checks, etc.) where one gets one's level bonus despite it not being a power.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui

DracoSuave

First Post
Saying that its because they aren't "powers" is a kludge, IMHO, and isn't very helpful. There are plenty of circumstances (skill checks, attribute checks, etc.) where one gets one's level bonus despite it not being a power.

Those circumstances aren't attacks, and therefore don't use Base Attack Bonus rules anyways.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
That's not quite true - I seem to remember an example in the DMG about making a Str vs. Fort test to know over a table with someone on it, so the rules are certainly open to such tests. If you take 1/2 level out of it, you are making such on-the-fly gamemastering of saying "yes" more and more useless as you go up in levels, which is kind of counter-intuitive as higher level characters ought to be able to do more crazy stuff, not less.

This phylosophical discussion is rather off topic, however.

Drammattex

First Post
Does anyone know if this armor follows the regular rules for action point expenditure?

For example, since you can only spend one action point per encounter, does this mean you can either use an action point to take an extra action (the regular use of an action point) OR you can burn an action point to activate an encounter power stored in the armor?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads