• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Powergaming: Wizard vs. Sorcerer

Which is more powerful?

• Wizard

Votes: 180 82.6%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 38 17.4%

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Nifft said:
The thing is, a Wizard can make scrolls for half the price that the Sorcerer pays. So I'm not sure that "extra loot" is really a note of balance in favor of the Sorcerer.

A Wizard also gets all those nifty bonus feats, which may be used for item creation (like Wands or Staves or Rings or Wondrous items which obviate particular spells). Again, at half price.

Fear the Wizard with wealth and spare time.

Cheers, -- N
Heck, the Wizard can reverse engineer the scroll and learn the spell (and then be able to scribe more scrolls...).

A sorcerer is a lot easier to play for folks new to the game though. And like a fair number of folks hereabouts I give them Eschew Materials as a free feat.

But I agree that the wizard is more powerful in general, and a lot more powerful when he has intelligence on the situation.

The Auld Grump, sorcerers on the other hand get a lot more out of prestige classes....

charlesatan

Explorer
I think it was pointed out in another thread -- how many GMs set it up so that Wizard character lose their spellbook (whether temporariy or permanently)? Because that's the only time Spell Mastery is going to be useful, aside from meeting prestige class prerequisites.

Or we can even take a poll on people who've actually taken the feat for itself and not for meeting feat/prestige class prerequisites.

Personally, I think not having material components will arise more frequently than not having access to a spellbook.

Thanee

First Post
Destil said:
c) Light armor prof. (along with a feat to reduce arcane spell failure avilable on their bonus feat list)

You also have to give them the ability to cast in light armor without ASF, otherwise those feats are useless. ;)

Bye
Thanee

pawsplay

Hero
Sorcerers have mild MAD due to casting from Cha, and have a weak class skill list for entering PrCs. Also, their spells known can feel sparse at times.

Seeten

First Post
pawsplay said:
Sorcerers have mild MAD due to casting from Cha, and have a weak class skill list for entering PrCs. Also, their spells known can feel sparse at times.

At times? Sorcerers spells known always feels sparse to me...

Imruphel

First Post
I allow sorcerers:

- bonus feats;
- Use Magic Device as a class skill (plus Intimidate and Diplomacy); and
- spontaneous metamagic.

How does it work out in play? No idea: nobody will play one!

Remove ads