• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

POWERS style game

Kevin Perrine

First Post
So... nobody bit on my VILLAINS of the Marvel Universe idea.
I think I'll try the OTHER one I'm really wanting to test.
---------------------

I'm thinking of a
POWERS -like game.
similar in style to the comic by Brian Michael Bendis
http://www.jinxworld.com/content/powers.htm

I'd like to run a short "case", and if it plays well we could continue it.

The basic idea would be that Player Characters would be similar to the main characters of the Powers setting... Police Detectives on the "Powers" beat. In the comic they're specifically on Homicide, I would want to expand that across all major super-power related crimes: Grand Theft, Destruction of Property, Kidnapping, Terrorism, Special Victims and Homicide. among others.

My thought is:

Freedom City
STAR Squad Detectives
anything from SWAT to Forensic Investigator, etc...
4-8 officers of the precinct (or possibly different precincts) that generally work inter-departmental and inter-city in teams of 2 but on larger or connected cases they coordinate.
Imagine any of the crime dramas on TV, especially NYPD Blue and CSI.

What I'd want would be character write-ups with backgrounds and "realistic" lives... ie- a family, a dog, not always in perfect shape, possibly corrupt from bribes or roughness, etc... etc...
The trick is you're NOT super heroes.
I might consider special cases (like you used to be a "Cape", you tried being a sidekick or something else) but only on case by case basis with a great story behind it.
You might not even be special forces type shape. You're a cop... in the city. You investigate, you go in and you may need to call for backup if in big trouble.

I'm thinking of using a modified version of Spycraft's allocation system for equipment requests for things not normally assigned to you on the beat. You may have things like handcuffs, your squad issue gun, maybe even portable nullifiers... or other equipment from past cases, but for the most part this is stories about the cops and their HUGE adversaries - the heroes and villain super powered of Freedom City.

Mutants and Masterminds
- PL 5
- No actual Super Powers. Any "powers" you want to take as trained or equipment you'll have to clear with me special.
- It should be rare to have Ability scores over 16... 17-20 make you world class and you'd be KNOWN for that ability in the precincts.

thoughts?
... more rules and such later if there's interest...
-kev-

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Kevin Perrine said:
Thoughts?

I really like the idea of the villaian game but I just wasn't able to think of any low teir villains that really caught my eye. (I would have been intrested if I knew at least one of the villain you mentioned. :lol: Never thought I would say that, I've been collecting and reading marval comics since I was 12 and I'm 27 now.)

I like the idea, even had a basic character idea that would work in a gritty cop game, but the PL would be a killer. (Even with the Spycraft's allocation system for equipment... Awesome idea btw! Wish I had thought of it.) also the complete lack superpowers are a killer also. (I was think reincarnation and regeneration. Even if killed he would be alive sometime later… Much to his chagrin.)

Anyhow, I wish you luck, your ideas are rather neat, and I know I have been reading them. :)

Remove ads