• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Powers that weren't as good as you thought or were better.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
I totally disagree. Beguiling Tongue is an AWESOME power; it's just not so great for in-combat use. An encounter based +5 to an interaction skill is great -- if you're already trained in one, you can kick it through the roof for one roll, and the ones you aren't trained in can be as good as a trained check for that one shot. Shadow Veil is pretty good too, if you're into stealth.

I think a lot of people underestimate how good the skill boosting utilities are. That may reflect on play style, though; a hack'n'slash group probably WOULDN'T see anything special in a skill bonus.

This is a late response, but I have to enthusiastically agree about the awesomeness of Beguiling Tongue.

BT + skill training (Bluff) + skill focus (Bluff) + high charisma = My PC can easily sell equivalent-level NPCs on things even when they know they shouldn't believe him. At 9th level he's swinging around a +21 bonus once per encounter. It doesn't hurt when a Diplomacy or Intimidate check is needed instead, either.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Woot:

Sly Flourish - For our group's rogue, it outdamages his encounter and some daily powers.

Witchfire - That attack penalty has, among other things, saved almost the whole party from being hit by a dragon's breath weapon twice: hit by witchfire, breath weapon, would have hit 3 party members but missed due to witchfire, was taken to bloodied, used breath weapon again, missed everyone, some by 2 or 3. We have 3 strikers in our group so a -4 or whatever it is for a round is significant since most BBEGs rarely live more than two or three rounds anyway.

Ranger slide-when-hit utility power(I forget its name) - This saved my ranger once or twice, like when he had 6 cultists(non-minion) around him, most flanking, ready to lay the smack down. First one hit, slipped out of the group, and the last 5 didn't even get to attack.

Flames of Phlegethos - mostly due to the fact that our warlock has critted with it 2/3 of the time he's used it. Damage around 45-55 + 5 ongoing at 2nd-3rd level.

Flaming Sphere - Attacks + auto damage + area denial? Yes please. Whenever our pre-campaign playtest wizard busted this out, the battle became a piece of cake.

Sacred Flame - radiant damage + vs ref + extra save for someone = greatness.

Divine Glow - Cleric 1st level AoE + buff? Winner.

Dragonborn Breath Weapon - most useful racial I've seen in play.

Elven Accuracy - I don't think I've ever not hit with both my Two-Fanged Strike attacks thanks to this power. Almost as useful as Dragon Breath.

Gummy-beary Juice - I don't remember its actual name, since this is what we call it, but the rogue 2nd level utility jump-delimiter. Adds 3-6 squares of movement per move - that ignores some difficult terrain - to our rogue's capabilities. Mobility++.

Meh:

Disruptive strike - Neat, but has had limited effect since the few times I've used it, the DM has either critted or rolled utter crap anyway(4 or less).

Priest's Shield - Seems kinda useful, but our cleric seems to rarely have an ally next to him, his strength is mediocre to have high Wis and Cha, and warlock sucks all the luck out of our cleric(warlock seems to never miss, cleric seems to never hit).

Rogue level 1 encounter powers - The fact that our rogue has simply not used his in several encounters says enough.

Raven Queen's Blessing - This one depends on party composition and cleric "DPS." In our balanced pre-test group, it rocked, "proccing" in nearly every battle, especially when combined with divine glow and minions. In our 1 cleric, 3 striker group, he's only been able to activate it once since he got it...

Eladrin Teleport - Occasionally very useful, mostly not even used in our pre-test.

Bleh:

Any ranger at-will that isn't Twin-Strike - I think my ranger has used my other power(don't even remember its name) twice in 4 levels...

Cleric 1st-level daily Guardian Thingy(whose name I forget) - It adds a bit of battlefield control, but in the few battles it was used before our cleric replaced it with the awesome Beacon of Hope, the enemies just moved around it.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Eladrin Teleport - Occasionally very useful, mostly not even used in our pre-test.

Interesting - I find I use my Fey Step all the time and to great effect. I'm playing an eladrin tactical warlord though, so my self-appointed job is to help my buddies get attack bonuses and extra attacks. What class are you playing?

On a related note, Knight's Move has further increased in value in my estimation. It's been useful in every fight since I took it, getting our rogue into flanking a round earlier than she would have otherwise been able to do.

Stalker0

Legend
Interesting - I find I use my Fey Step all the time and to great effect. I'm playing an eladrin tactical warlord though, so my self-appointed job is to help my buddies get attack bonuses and extra attacks. What class are you playing?

The eladrin teleport definately depends on the class your playing. I'm playing a wizard right now, and mobility is not nearly as important for me as it is most classes, so I don't use it that much. However, those times I do its great, as that means I've just been surrounded by guys and I'm about to get beaten into pulp.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Yeah, our Eladrin was a wizard too. That's why I put it in "meh" instead of "bleh." I could see its use for melee/mobility focused classes more. I think wizards require the least mobility of any class I've seen in play.

With our wizard, the only time it was really useful when we had the Eladrin trancing on watch (bad plan considering his perception score) and he was ambushed by a pair of rat swarms. He teleported away and nuked them. He also used it to skip the small cliffs the rest of us had to climb, but that was out of combat so it didn't really mean much.

I forgot one for the "meh" category: Thunderwave - It sounds awesome, but our AoE-only wizard only ended up using it once in 3 levels of playtest. Then again, our playtest party was super balanced and tactically rockin' so he only took damage about 3 times in 3 levels - and only once because an enemy got him into melee, the others were ranged attacks.

For the woot category: Shield - Our wizard would have taken damage twice as many times without having shield to nerf most of the few attacks that did "hit" him.

Edit: Stalker0, love your re-make of the Skill Challenge system. If/when I run a 4E game, I'm definitely using it over the one in the book.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
The ranger's Disprutive Strike isn't nearly as good as I thought it'd be. You have to hit first, and even if you do there's still a fair chance that their attack hits.

elwynbdas

First Post
Brute Strike a must

Brute Strike turned out to be even better than expected, because after three sessions we discovered it's one of the few "reliable" powers, meaning they are spent only once they hit. This basically means it's a fighter's guarantee, not just a chance, to cause a lot of damage once per day. Our 1st level fighter caused over 40 points of damage hitting an unconscious dragon with his maul.

Remove ads