PPA: The Case of the Eerie Aerie

GlassEye

Adventurer
Korva frowns. "It looks...crafted, almost. Hard to really tell from here." She looks over at Shard and addresses the sorcerer. "Do you have any spells to incapacitate the griffon without injuring her? If you don't, we may need to rely on Velastri's skill with creatures. Do you think you could manage her, Velastri?"

Dragonwriter

First Post
Velastri's attention has been focused on the griffon, watching it, studying it... When Korva actually addresses him, she manages to break him out of his little reverie. The half-elf frowns as he thinks on the suggestion.

"First thing, I'd like everyone to stand completely still. If there was any tampering by a person here, I'm going to at least find some sign of them. If your information is correct, Senechal, then there should be no tracks less than a day old...

"As for me convincing her to let go of the egg... Griffons are a little beyond my skill to soothe. Even so, I could try, though I make no promises as to results. But first, I'd like to rule out any mundane interference."

The half-elf bends low and starts examining the floor all around the entrance to the griffon's enclosure. He also ventures into the small room, though not very far, and stays a little out of the griffon's reach, just in case.

[sblock=Roll]
Survival (+17): 20. Stupid IC... I swear that thing hates me... If that doesn't reveal anything useful, I'll take 10. I'm only looking for tracks that are less than 36 hours old...
[/sblock]

Mithral·Dragon

First Post
The cavern which comprised the Aerie was perfect for searching out tracks. Many were found around the gate leading to the nest of Thunderthrill, though only one set went beyond the partially open gate. In and our it went, but those tracks were not the ones which raised some brows.

Something no more than a hand span wide had created an ever-so slight furrow in sands of the cavern floor. There was a slight warbling to that path, as though some ovoid object had rolled right under the gate which normally barred access to Thunderthrill's nest. Quite obviously the egg, the path was followed several strides away until it ended abruptly.

A faint depression in the sands, like that of a tiny crater, could be seen there, where the egg had impacted from some slight height. Another few strides away there was found another similar yet slightly larger depression of impact. Twice as far from the other two, another point of impact was located, this marred by the passing of many a footstep and griffon paw. Directly above, the night sky was viewable from the sinkhole in the cavern ceiling.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Velastri frowns as he finds the trail the egg seems to have followed. The half-elf pointed at the ceiling hole. "Given the small trail, which seems to have the same dimensions as that egg, it would appear the egg was dropped from that aperture, bounced several times, and finally rolled to a stop in Thunderthrill's pen. Where she naturally took the egg and began to care for it... The distance the egg travelled suggests it was travelling at a goodly speed in this direction before it landed..." The half-elf's sentence drops off as he becomes lost in thought again.

Shayuri

First Post
Shard spent a moment looking up, then down...then following the path shown to her. She stared, then covered her mouth and giggled.

"It bounced. It fell through the top, bounced a couple of times, and rolled right under the door into the pen. What IS it?"

With that she returned to the stall gate.

"I have spells that will blind it, but I don't think that would calm it down any," the sorceress observes. "Give me a minute to think about this."

Finally she nods.

"Okay, I can turn invisible and go get it. Or I can try to magically move it out without anyone go in there. Or I can try to make the griffon let us take it with magic...which is safe for now, but will probably piss it off really badly when the magic wears off."

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
"Well, you know your magics best, Shard. How do you recommend that we approach this?" Korva motions towards the cage, the egg, and the griffon.

Dragonwriter

First Post
"The best thing would be the moving spell... Would that be Mage Hand or Telekinesis? Mage Hand might not work, but it depends on the weight of that egg... Yes, I do know some magics, though I didn't think to prepare Mage Hand today... Even so, a quick scan of this place couldn't hurt..."

Velastri bows his head and utters the incancation for Detect Magic, then looks around the room, focusing on the griffon's nest, the egg, and the egg's trail.

[sblock=OOC]
I'm sick of IC giving me garbage rolls... Would you go ahead and roll for me, Mithral-Dragon? For determining any auras with Detect Magic, I've got KN: Arcana +10 and Spellcraft +9.
[/sblock]

BOB101

First Post
Shard, If your magic is not strong enough to move the egg, can you use it to go fishing? Maybe tie a rope to a basket, place the basket over the egg and yank it. If the egg made it under the gate, we may be able to get it back under.

Shayuri

First Post
Shard sniffed disdainfully. "My magic is plenty strong enough," she replied. "Or I wouldn't have listed it as an option. I've spells that far surpass Mage Hand. I'm just not sure stealing the egg is quite the right thing to do."

She looked at the Senechal. "Can griffons talk to each other? If I could provide a loyal griffon...could it translate what we say to this one?"

BOB101

First Post
No offense meant . I wouldn't trust my back side to ya if I thought you weak. Be assured of that.
I was pointing out that if you don't have the right spells prepared, we do have more ....creative solutions. Don't underestimate what a little engenuity and muscle can do.
As for stealing the egg, If you can get it away from her with her permission, great, but Im thinkin we need a back up plan. If our attempt to get it fails she will be on her guard. It'll be alot harder to get the egg if she is actively guarding it.

Remove ads