• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[PR GPG] Options Pack 1: Thinkers

EliasVaughn

First Post
God's Parlor Games announces a new product!

Options Pack 1: Thinkers

Options Pack 1: Thinkers, by Paul Stefko, details three new classes, and provides material to support the idea of the thinking man's character. Material included in this pack:

* The Arcanist, an arcane spellcaster with the power and versatility of the sorcerer and the range of knowledge of the wizard, with none of the baggage of either. Includes a society of like-minded arcanists.
* The Scholar, an NPC class for the man of letters in every court.
* The Tinker, an inventor and builder who is capable of great things with machinery.
* Sample characters for each of these classes.
* New spells and feats.
* A new creature - the clockwork golem - and a template for making mechanical versions of any animal or beast.
* A simple campaign location - the Library of Carmisch.

All material is Open Game Content and is compatible with fantasy rules from the biggest names in the industry.

Format: 8.5 x 11, B&W 11-page PDF (176 kB)
Price: 2$US

Available now at http://www.pitt.edu/~pms36 so come check it out. We also offer the Winter's Waste Campaign Setting ($4 for an entire Campaign Setting or a vast area to add to an existing campaign).

Last edited:

Blacksad

Explorer
Re: [PR GPG] Option Pack 1: Thinkers

EliasVaughn said:
God's Parlor Games announces a new product!
* The Arcanist, an arcane spellcaster with the power and versatility of the sorcerer and the range of knowledge of the wizard, with none of the baggage of either.

errr, is this supposed to be balanced with the other class? I don't know, perhaps a maximum spell level, or something else?

edit: and despite the probable price increase that this will provoke, would it be possible to make it available on www.rpgnow.com ?

Last edited:

Vaxalon

First Post
Yes, Blacksad, good point.

Is the Arcanist the publisher's way of saying, "We'd rather everyone used the Arcanist rather than the wizard and sorceror because we don't like hard choices."?

EliasVaughn

First Post
I tried to make it comparable to the others. If you're worried, give it a shot, and ignore it if you feel it is unbalanced. (Yes, that was a shameless attempt to make a sale.)

At the end of the day, I think it's fun. I'm obviously not in this to get rich - look at my prices. This is spare-time stuff and stuff I'm making for my own enjoyment that maybe other people will enjoy too.

Besides, the Arcanist is not the only thing in the pack.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
A question about your arcanist sample PC: Is the number of spell points correct? If he gets 4 + Int bonus spell points at 1st level, and 1d4 + Int bonus each additional level, shouldn't he have at least 11 spell points?

Blacksad

Explorer
EliasVaughn said:
I tried to make it comparable to the others. If you're worried, give it a shot, and ignore it if you feel it is unbalanced. (Yes, that was a shameless attempt to make a sale.)

I would like, but I can't use paypal.

and if putting it at $5 at rpgnow bother you, remember that you can set up the price at $2, the only problem is that the minimal order is $5, so you'll encourage people to buying stuff from other publisher (or to take several of your product at once).

EliasVaughn

First Post
Errata

Wow, my first errata. I'll put the change in and post the errata on our website.

Official Errata: Marcine Fern, F.S.J., the sample arcanist, should have 12 spell points.

Blacksad, about RPGNow, I haven't really looked into it. We'll have to go somewhere bigger and more automated when our catalog expands (some of the things we are working on, especially Expanse, are large), but for the time being this is mostly a hobby and an experiment.

Just out of curiosity, why can't you use PayPal?

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I'm unclear on how an arcanist learns a spell. The spell has to be on the wizard/sorcerer list, and the arcanist has to write a scroll of that spell.

Can he choose *any* spell? I would think that at least he would need a copy of the spell (perhaps another scroll) to do so. Did I miss something in my hasty reading? I'm not sure if there is a way for a spellcaster to make a scroll of a spell he does not yet know- am I misunderstanding something?

Does the arcanist gain access to higher level spells at the rate of a sorcerer, or of a wizard? Or is he limited only by the number of spell points he has?

EliasVaughn

First Post
If an arcanist doesn't know the spell he is scribing (i.e. he's learning it for the first time) he must have a copy of the spell, either as a scroll or in a wizard's spellbook - similar to a wizard copying the spell into his spellbook.

Remove ads