• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[PR GPG] Options Pack 1: Thinkers

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Three questions/comments:

1. You mention that an arcanist can have a second level spell among his starting scrolls. Does that mean a first level arcanist can cast 2nd level spells?

----

2. The 2nd level sample arcanist has 12 spell points. That's 6 cantrips and 9 first level spells. A 2nd level sorcerer can cast 6 cantrips and 5 1st level spells (assuming a 16 Cha).

Don't you think that a low level arcanist is considerably tougher than a sorcerer of equal level? Especially since there is no limit on the number of spells known. And there is no dependency on a spell-book, like a wizard.

----

3. I think at higher levels the arcanist will have trouble pushing out the high level spells. But even at 10th level the arcanist will have 55 or 60 spell points. A 10th level wizard, if he were to cast all his spells would cast the equivalent of 51 points of spells. The arcanist still has a distinct advantage, both because he casts more spells, can cast spontaneously, and is not burdened by an expensive spell-book.

Regards

EliasVaughn

First Post
1. You mention that an arcanist can have a second level spell among his starting scrolls. Does that mean a first level arcanist can cast 2nd level spells?

Yes. He must be willing to spend at least 25% of his energy in one shot, but if the wager is made then he can do it.

At the extreme end of this, a 1st-level arcanist with 18 Int (+4 bonus) could cast a single 8th-level spell per day. But where the heck did he learn that spell? You had to give your consent as DM for him to find that spell or have it given to him. In the end, the DM controls all of the power he lets his players have.

Blacksad

Explorer
EliasVaughn said:

In the end, the DM controls all of the power he lets his players have.

That's pretty weak as an argument.

If I have a price for how much it cost to look in a high level wizard spellbook, or a market price of a limited wish scroll (3775 gp). My high level wizards, or my school of magic will put a meta-game requirement on in-game possibility, to prevent level 4 arcanist from using half of their wealth to wield incredible power?

As a DM I don't want to do more effort for one player, just to ensure that he doesn't overshadow the other, it's unfair to all the players IMO.

So, do you have a more in depth description of the tinker?

JoeGKushner

First Post
I am beyond cheap!

If I buy it though, it's not getting reviewed. There are very few products I'll review once I buy only because I get a lot of products.

I'm working through the following now:

Forbidden Kingdoms
Oathbound
Sidewinder

Just finished

Treasures of Elbard
Scourge of Raftport
Lords of the Peaks

Why would I interrupt reading/revewing Oathbound for a product that I buy?

Besdies, that cheap thing works two ways. If it's only $2, then the author should be glad to have someone look it over and post an intelligent review eh?

Furn_Darkside

First Post
JoeGKushner said:

If it's only $2, then the author should be glad to have someone look it over and post an intelligent review eh?

Heh, I am only picking on you.

I am not about to start criticizing a dedicated reviewer.

FD

JoeGKushner

First Post
I'm not 'decidated' as much as varied.

If I was dedicated, I would review everything I bought, got or found. :D

I'm just someone who feels that I've done enough reviews for mutliple sites that a company can expect a solid review that's not a paragraph or two. I've had stuff done in D20Weekly, Pyramid, Shadis, Gaming Frontier, Ogre Cave, Open Game Exchange, and others.

Most of the time there's a good turnaround time of them too. Worst ones I think I had were two Auran products that for some reason took me forever to go through. I felt bad about Heroes of High Favor: Dwarves because I sent the review into D20 Weekly before it hit the shelves and Dale couldn't get it pubished for like two weeks after it had already been on the shelves. Taught me the lesson of speed in places like RPG.net and EnWorld.

All of the products I've reviewed so far have been product sent to me and as you can see, not all of them are 5s. Heck, some of them aren't even 4s. Even the 'EN World' book Wild Spellcraft only got a 3 from me. I felt bad about that review getting taken down so I sent 'em some ideas on using Wild Spellcraft with the Hunt and an NPC to hunt down those pesky spellcasters that take the template. Hope they can use it for something.

A dependable review is hard to find. If you think about it, almost everyone whose writing one is taking time out of their life to do so. Time equals money in some cases. Reviews are a service. It's important to note that in many cases, they are an unpaid service.

I have nothing against companies that don't send me stuff. I still buys lots of products from companies that send me nothing. It's just not getting reviewed.

:p

Remove ads