• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[PR] Privateer Press Announces WAR MACHINE

PrivateerMatt

First Post
March 12, 2002

For Immediate Release

Privateer Press Announces WAR MACHINE™, the IRON KINGDOMS™ Tabletop Skirmish Game

Matt Staroscik
President, Privateer Press
4323 Evanston Ave. N. #202
Seattle, WA 98103
V: (206) 545-2943
F: (206) 770-7373
matt@privateerpress.com
http://ikwarmachine.com
http://privateerpress.com
http://ironkingdoms.com

Seattle, WA—March 12, 2002—Privateer Press, publishers of the popular Witchfire Trilogy™ of D20 scenarios, today announces an exciting new component of the IRON KINGDOMS™ fantasy setting: WAR MACHINE™. Scheduled to launch in the fall of 2002, WAR MACHINE is a fast-paced 30mm tabletop miniatures game that will bring the IRON KINGDOMS roaring to life! A preview of this exciting product line is available now at its official web site, ikwarmachine.com.

In WAR MACHINE, players take on the roles of combat hardened sorcerers controlling squads of steam powered fighting machines. Over one dozen models in four factions will be available at launch, with more joining the battle for the IRON KINGDOMS in the months to follow. Initially, players can choose from the regal and technically advanced troops of CYGNAR™, the religious fervor and fiery wrath of the PROTECTORATE OF MENOTH™, the merciless raw power of KHADOR™ or the dark magics of CRYX™. Future expansions will bring the elves of IOS™ and the dwarves of RHUL™ into the fray, along with new weapons and henchmen for all the factions.

Designed and sculpted for Privateer Press by RIVET HEAD STUDIOS™, home to the gaming industry's foremost talent, the models of WAR MACHINE will set new quality standards in the world of fantasy miniatures. Keep up with the Rivet Heads' work at ikwarmachine.com, and prepare for painting contests and other interactive events as WAR MACHINE picks up speed.

Accompanying WAR MACHINE's world-class metal will be a 96-page rulebook packed full of all-new rules and background material by the designers of Legend of the Five Rings and the D20 world's hit Witchfire Trilogy. Gameplay is quick yet rich with tactical possibilities, including dozens of sizzling spells and metal-wrenching weapons. WAR MACHINE will also be supported by an innovative organized play system that simulates the struggle for control of the IRON KINGDOMS, making for exciting tournaments around the world!

Pricing for WAR MACHINE has not been fixed, but it is anticipated that a rulebook will retail for approximately $15 and faction boxed set for $40.

Privateer Press was founded in December 2000 by game industry veterans Brian Snoddy, and Matt Staroscik, with additional art and vision from Matt Wilson. The company's first product was the D20 adventure The Witchfire Trilogy Part 1: The Longest Night™, a critical and popular success. The Longest Night was followed by the equally successful sequels Shadow of the Exile™ and The Legion of Lost Souls™, firmly establishing the IRON KINGDOMS as a hot new fantasy property. The company is now completing The Monsternomicon Vol. I™, a D20 fantasy bestiary, the Guide to the Iron Kingdoms™ campaign sourcebook, and is preparing for the early fall launch of WAR MACHINE.

Matt Staroscik, the president of Privateer Press can be reached at matt@privateerpress.com or (206) 545-2943. Learn more about WAR MACHINE at http://ikwarmachine.com, and visit Privateer Press at GAMA, booth #112.

IRON KINGDOMS, WAR MACHINE, RIVET HEAD STUDIOS, WITCHFIRE TRILOGY, THE LONGEST NIGHT, SHADOW OF THE EXILE, THE LEGION OF LOST SOULS, CYGNAR, KHADOR, PROTECTORATE OF MENOTH, IOS, RHUL and CRYX are all TM and © 2001 Privateer Press LLC.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Wow! A miniatures game by the creators of my favorite d20 adventure!!!!!

Well, I know it won't be d20 ("no d20 licence for minis game", Dancey dixit), but will be it OGL? Will it use OGL rules as base? Will it be 'compatible with the 3rd edition of the most popular fantasy roleplaying game system' (as everquest rpg creators say)?

PrivateerMatt

First Post
War Machine isn't an OGL product and it isn't made to mesh with the 3e combat system (though the models are the same scale). It is a totally new product, though it is still part of the Iron Kingdoms game world.

(Since it isn't OGL/RPG/D20 I won't be spamming this forum with every last little bit of news about it, but I thought the basic announcement would interest some people.)

TSL

First Post
Whoopeee!!!!

Matt,

First off, my sincerest thanks on finally making a minatures game that states that it is in 30 mm instead of hinting at "+25 or so".

Second, I'm looking forward to it, but your press anouncement was way to pressy. :D

I'm guessing Matt couldn't say due to contractual obligations and such, but for the rest of you that are reading this thread and therefore interested, Rivet Head Studios is home to the one and only Mike McVey.

Go and check out the mini's, they look as sweet as anything I've seen out of GW. (Though the new Warlock Engineer is looking mighty cool.)

Final shot: you guys gonna be at GAMA, Matt?

uv23

First Post
Very tasty. I never had any interst in a mini game but I like the IK setting so much that I may just take the plunge. Mechs rock. Post/pre-industrial, steam-powered, hammer wielding, spell throwing mechs rock even more. :)

PrivateerMatt

First Post
We will indeed be at GAMA, come by the booth and you can try out War Machine -- we'll be running demos. We'll also be giving away War Machine rulers, with game "cheat sheets" on them.

An interesting side note on the spells -- some warjacks have gear in them that allows the warcaster to channel spells THROUGH the model. This lets you extend the range of spells without putting your warcaster in harm's way. It makes for some interesting tactics, but there's also a risk associated with it, of course.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
When is the main Sourcebook for IK coming out? I have bought all 3 modules and I liked them allot (some parts i had/have issues with but I can bear with them) and I would like to purchase the main book with all the information on the kingdom.

Harp

First Post
Leopold said:
When is the main Sourcebook for IK coming out? I have bought all 3 modules and I liked them allot (some parts i had/have issues with but I can bear with them) and I would like to purchase the main book with all the information on the kingdom.

Actually, this brings me to my question. I'm a huge fan of the Iron Kingdoms, but I'm not a war gamer at all. I'm not trying to rain on any parades here, but how much has War Machine set back the already oft-delayed Monsternomicon (even its preview) and the Guide to the IK book?

Remove ads