• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Practical lessons about Death

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've been dealing with death a lot the past few months. This is a thread in which to post things you've learned about dealing with death in the real world, in hopes of alleviating the problems others may have. If you have any other suggestions than the ones I list here, feel free to add them.

As some of you know, I'm an Entertainment attorney. I recently handled my first probate case for someone who otherwise couldn't afford representation. Probate in Texas is usually pretty simple unless something gets overlooked.

Which brings up...

1) When drafting a will, either for a client, yourself, or a person who is mentally competent to draft a will but physically unable to do so, make sure the will names an Executor.

That was the problem in my case- everything else was in order, but the people who drafted the will (aiding a terminally ill patient) hadn't been able to agree on an Executor, so none was named. This meant the Probate Court had to step in and approve someone. As a result, a process that could have been finished in under a month dragged out almost 4 months, costing the estate a significant portion of its value as stock prices dropped. It was quite traumatic for the family of the deceased.

Depending upon where you live, any competent adult may be named Executor, and several kinds of businesses may be named as well, especially banks and insurance companies, many of which have departments devoted to managing estate assets.

2) Make sure someone- preferably multiple persons- outside of your household knows the full contact information for people you would want notified of your death.

It doesn't need to be much- a letter, an email, a file on a CD-ROM or flash drive- but it could make the task of your survivors that much easier. Include not just friends, but those with whom you have business dealings- lawyers, accountants, banks, and anyone with whom you have any kind of rental agreement.

Someone I've known for 20 years was recently discovered dead. He was a very friendly man, but he referred to everyone by their first names. He also kept his life very compartmentalized- many of the people he knew only knew a few of the others (oddly enough, almost like a bunch of terrorist cells). Even fewer knew he had living relatives- and nobody knows their last name or where they are. On top of that, we've only been able to locate one of his lawyers (we know he has one in another city handling a case for him).

In other words, finding out whom to notify has proven quite daunting.

In addition, his faith requires certain rituals be carried out...and only one of his friends knew what those were. Had we been unable to notify that friend, the dictates of his faith would not have been satisfied.

Because of this, we've all been looking at our own lives with a bit more caution- my parents only know 3 of my friends by their full names, and only have the contact info for 1. Clearly, I need to do better.

3) Most states leave the responsibility for cleaning up after a death up to the property owner.

What most people don't realize about this is that, depending upon how long the deceased has been there, that location could be a serious biohazard- serious enough that cleaning with most household cleansers will be insufficient. The dead body of a human can be a terrible disease vector, not to mention being traumatic.

However, there are increasing numbers of businesses that do biohazard-level cleanup of such sites, usually under the heading of "Crime Scene Cleaners" or something similar. They use industrial biomedical strength cleansers, respirators and similar equipment, not bleach, dishwashing gloves, and a paper mask.

My advice: if you do find a body, do yourself a favor and use a pro if you can afford it.

When I saw this site I thought it was going to be about the emotional side of things.

The stuff you have mentioned here is still important. As a small town law enforcement officer, my father had to deal with some this including once being appointed the Executor by the courts. What a flippin' mess.

Anyhow.... Death has struck here in my family TWICE in as many weeks. It was family pets but for the kids it was tough still.

Each animal got a funeral and final words by each family member. Closure is important.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As a small town law enforcement officer, my father had to deal with some this including once being appointed the Executor by the courts.

Yikes!

More power to your pops! I don't know that I could ever have done that duty!

Anyhow.... Death has struck here in my family TWICE in as many weeks. It was family pets but for the kids it was tough still.

Thats tough for everyone, even with- or maybe especially with- pets. I've had to help my parents take care of their dogs when the fuzzies got too old to go on...that was rough.

And a buddy of mine recently lost a cat he's had for 18+ years and he was on the verge of tears for a week. His remaining cat is that cat's kitten, and isn't much younger, so he's still got a daily reminder of the approaching inevitable.

Last edited:

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Mildly related...

So, at my work one day a few years ago, we got this nifty new HR system where we could do all our stuff online.

So, I'm setting up my benefits* and go to set up my beneficiaries, and the options are interesting. I've got: Children (childless so far as I know), spouse (single), domestic partner (see previous), other parent of my child (didn't I just say I was childless?), grandchild (again!), and that's it.

So...my plan was to set my parents as beneficiaries, with my brother and my ex-gf as secondary beneficiaries...that way, in case an asteroid fell on Union County, KY during Thanksgiving, somebody would get something (as ex-gf doesn't do Thanksgiving and would be on the other side of the Appalachians). But I had to put each person as "Other."

So, I did that, and then called in to our benefits helpdesk and complained that the beneficiary relationships left something to be desired, especially for a company with a lot of young-ish people. Lo and behold, the next year, there were many other options, like "brother" and "parent" and "friend" and "niece" and "cousin" et al.

Brad

* - Minimal life insurance, way extra AD&D, both for humor value and because while I don't have outstanding obligations greater than my annual salary or dependents to care for, if I'm disabled I'll probably appreciate a frakton of money.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

My wife is a veterinarian. One of the things she's most glad she got training in while at school was grief counseling. Losing a pet can be like losing a family member - and in some cases worse, in that the owner often feels 100% responsible for the well-being of the pet. She's had to deal wit a couple folks who were legitimately suicidal with grief, and these were not people who were particularly unbalanced before their pet passed away.

Practical advice - do not, under any circumstances, tell someone "it was just a dog/cat/gerbil/whatever" when their pet dies. To them, it likely wasn't "just" anything, and you can end up with a real mess on your hands if you underestimate the person's attachment to an animal that has passed.

On the topic of humans...

If you are dealing with a death that results in lawsuits - don't hold your breath. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT base any financial decisions on the potential outcome of lawsuits. They can, and do, take years to resolve.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My wife is a veterinarian. One of the things she's most glad she got training in while at school was grief counseling.

I was once asked why I didn't go into veterinary medicine. I responded that I couldn't take the grief of others that well. People often take the death of a pet much harder than for any other loved one, for the precise reason you mentioned. I know it was that way for me when I examine how I reacted to the deaths of my paternal Grandparents (in the past 3 years) versus my parents' losing several aging Border Collies over the course of the past 20+ years.

Had I been a vet, I'd probably be in a nuthatch by now, even with training.

I salute ANYONE whose commonplace duty it is to deal with persons in extreme emotional distress. It is a challenge like no other.

If you are dealing with a death that results in lawsuits - don't hold your breath. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT base any financial decisions on the potential outcome of lawsuits. They can, and do, take years to resolve.

That's true of any lawsuit that involves 5 or more figures to the left of the decimal, but lawsuits revolving around a death tend to really throw people's expectations into whacky orbits. Good, solid advice.

ProfessorPain

First Post
Unusual Subject, but important. I don't have much to ad. Just that death can shake even the strongest among us. I saw a woman killed in a car accident on my way to the gym in a few years ago. It was early on saturday, and the police hadn't arrived yet. I had a clear view of the scene as a drove by. Its one thing to have death blurred out by flashing lights and lines of yellow tape. It another to see it raw. The image is still with me, and I still get the willies when i think how common car accidents are.

Remove ads