• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PrC: Bodu Symbiot Commander

Maximillian

First Post
This is a homebrew Prestige one of the players in my game is using, and he's about to start picking up some of the more interesting abilities... I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas, criticism, or whatever. Especially regarding the "Tactical Advice" ability.

The bodu are a race of people infused by ash. Their kind were once much more like normal humans, but ancient wars brought upon them a barren waste of ashpools and ash geysers. They do not stand upright, but rather walk upon their knuckles and feet. Most interesting, however, are the Bodu who bond themselves to the T'tiklisk, a race of incredibly weak, invertibrate creatures with a strange prescient instinct. These warriors take the position of combative commanders, using their unfathomable instincts to see attacks and tactics of the enemy long before they come.

The Symbiot Commander uses two things to make his presence in battle known: First, his knowledge. He must know many things, and be able to do a diverse number of things (in other words, plenty of diverse skills) to avoid battle when necessary, and strike quickly and ferociously, using the best possible advantages when a fight must occur. Secondly, he uses the psychic powers of his symbiot, which must always be protected. The fleshy, slug-like beast attaches itself to his head, and gives him information as to the approach of attacks, and to give him and his charges the best chance he can.

Prerequisites:
Knowledge(Tactics) 4 ranks
Search 2 ranks
Feats: Iron Will, Alertness
BAB: +3
Race: T'tiklisk Symbiotic Bodu (Or other Symbiotic race at DM's permission)

Hit Die: 1d8
BAB: As Fighter
Good Saves: Will, Reflex
Poor Saves: Fortitude
Skill Points: 4+Int Modifier per level.

Class Skills: Alchemy, Craft, Disable Device, Forgery, Gather Info, Handle Animal, Hide, Intimidate, Intuit Direction, Knowledge(Any), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Read Lips, Ride, Search, Speak Language, Spot, Wilderness Lore

Armor and Weapon Proficiencies: Bodu Symbiot Commanders are proficient in all simple and martial weapons, as well as all armor and shields.

Level.....Abilities Gained
1...........Prescience
2...........Uncanny Dodge (I)
3...........Tactical Advice
4...........Haste (1 round/day)
6...........Uncanny Dodge (II)
7...........Haste (2 rounds/day)
10.........Haste (3 rounds/day)

Prescience: This ability has two effects, and comes directly from the symbiot's mental powers. First, the Commander's wisdom bonus is added to his AC, regardless of whether he is flat footed or not, and also while wearing armor. This is considered an Insight bonus. Secondly, the commander gains an insight bonus which can be applied to any one roll in a round, or to armor class. This means one attack roll (regardless of how many are made), one save, one skill check (Handle Animal, Hide, Intuit Direction, Listen, Move Silently, Ride, Search, Spot or Wilderness Lore), or to armor class for the entire round. The bonus must be placed before any rolls are made. This bonus is equal to half the Commander's level (Round Up), and can can be divided to multiple tasks.

Uncanny Dodge: This functions as a rogue or barbarian's ability of the same name. Uncanny Dodge (I) is the ability to retain one's dexterity modifier to AC while flat-footed. Uncanny Dodge (II) makes the Commander unflankable, except by characters with this ability who are four levels higher than the Commander's class level.

Tactical Advice: As a full round action the Symbiot Commander can use a combination of knowledge and psychic foresight to give his allies orders. As long as they follow the Commander's plan of attack, they gain an insight bonus equal to one third of his class level, rounded down. This bonus can be split up among multiple attacks, but otherwise follows all the same rules as his personal Prescience bonus. Once the bonus has been established, the Symbiot Commander may change if for all allies with a full round action, or a single ally with a move equivalent action by giving new orders. Allies who cannot hear the Commander, or are more than 60' away at the time orders are given gain no bonus. The bonus fades at the end of the encounter, or when the combat situation changes sufficiently (as determined by the DM).

Haste: As a benefit of having two minds, a Symbiot Commander can act more quickly and efficiently than others. At fourth level, the Commander can take an extra partial action, once per day. At levels 7 and 10 he gains an additional two partial actions per day, but only one may be used per round. If the Symbiot and the Character ever come into conflict, it may use these partial actions against the character.

Hawkeye

First Post
I am by no means an expert, but in the class description you state that the character must know lots of things, however the only skills that you require for the class is Knowledge (Tactics) and Search. You give them access to a large number of skills in turn. Shouldn't they have a bit more stringent prerequsites. It seems that a 3rd level fighter could qualify for this class. That is a just a little soon for a PrC. He can finish out the entire PrC and be 13th level. He can haste himself, has an AC bonus that can't be bypassed even if flatfooted nor can he be flanked.. In addition he has 7 levels left to play with before 20th. That is a bit overpowered. He still has a fighter BAB, Weapon skills and armor, with slightly less HPs.

He is supposed to be a Master of Tactics right? SO why does he have the tactical mastery of a 2nd level character? Why does he have the Search abilites of a 1st? You need to boost those skill requirements a bit. Maybe Knowledge (Tactics) 8, Search 4? He should have some knowledge of the symbiotic race before being bonded. Maybe Knowledge (Symbiote) 4? I would also suggest that the Leadershp feat be required.

The PrC class skills of Alchemy, Disable Device, Read Lips and Forgery, what is the logic behind those? This is supposed to be a battlefield commander. Why should he know these things? It looks like you took all of the skills that might just be interesting and placed them in a single PrC.

You need to detail what happends to the PC if his symbiote dies.

Hmm. Has a Fighter's BAB along with the weapon and armor skills. It has the skill points and saves of a Bard. It has the Uncanny dodge abilites of a Barbarian. It can haste itself like a Sorc/Wiz. It can buff the attacks of a group like a Bard/Cleric. It has the HPS of a Cleric/Druid Its easy to get in to and gives a great deal in return and it still gives the PC 10 levels to play with for other classes. I think that is just a bit overpowered.

Hawkeye

Maximillian

First Post
Not at 3rd

A fighter with no other classes has a maximum of 3 ranks in Knowledge(Tactics) or any other knowledge skill. 8 ranks would require 13th level with no other classes. A level 1 rogue, level 3 fighter could quaulify, and I guess 4th level is a little low for this class too, but I think that 5th is just right.

You're probably right about those skills being inappropriate, and maybe the saves, but the feats and skills required are entirely antithetical to a standard fighter. Alertness gives a bonus to two skills that a fighter cannot take cross class (and, without a really solid intelligence, cannot likely take while gaining those other two skills). Iron Will is useful to a fighter, but not on his list of bonus feats and will only serve to detract from any feat chains he may be trying to master. Am I just rambling, or do you see my point?

The bit about the symbiot dying is covered in my campaign's information on the race. I didn't provide that, since anyone could find a different in-game justification for the class without using the flavor from my game. I don't think anyone else has, or cares for, the Bodu, since I made them up with help from the player using this class.

For future reference, I may raise the Search to also be 4, but I didn't want a non-human, average intelligence fighter to be required to spend all of their skill points gaining entrance by 5th level.

It occurs to me I should cross-reference those skill requirements with Ranger... I don't use the PHB ranger, and never had to consider this, but I don't think they have Knowledge as a class skill either, so it shouldn't matter.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads