• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PrC recommendations for archer-style bards?

Kalendraf

Explorer
I'm looking for prestige class options for an archer-style bard. The main PrC sources are the DMG, Complete Warrior, Complete Divine (probably not much there) and Miniature's Handbook. Complete Arcane is an option, but I don't currently have it to refer to. I'd prefer to avoid other sources, but if there is one that fits perfectly then it may be considered.

Here the current details for the character in question:
Bard 8 Human Str: 11 (12 due to +1 belt) Dex: 14 Con: 12 Int: 14 Wis: 8 Cha: 17 (18 due to +1 cloak)
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Improved Toughness
Character concept has essentially been a singing archer. When diplomatic options fail, they rely on using songs and magic to improve their abilities in ranged combat as well as aiding their comrades in battle.

PrC's I've looked at so far include these:
War Chanter - not sure it really does what I'm looking for. Seems to take several levels to be really useful. The Combat Expertise required feat would be mostly wasted.
Havoc Mage - interesting, but would it give up some BAB progression. Being able to combine a spell + arrow shot into a single full round action could be very useful.
Order of the Bow Initiate - an obvious archer PrC, but I don't know that it is really the best for this particular character. Have no ranks in Craft to qualify yet either.
Fighter (ok, not a PrC, but bear with me) - looking at taking 4 levels, which would get access to martial weapons (long bow especially), and 3 bonus feats. The last of those feats would likely be Weapon Specialization(long bow).

What I'd like to find is something more akin to the Arcane Archer, but allowable for a human bard. Something that would allow them to channel their spells or even better, their songs into their bow attacks would be ideal. Any ideas?

Kalendraf said:
I'm looking for prestige class options for an archer-style bard. The main PrC sources are the DMG, Complete Warrior, Complete Divine (probably not much there) and Miniature's Handbook. Complete Arcane is an option, but I don't currently have it to refer to. I'd prefer to avoid other sources, but if there is one that fits perfectly then it may be considered.

Here the current details for the character in question:
Bard 8 Human Str: 11 (12 due to +1 belt) Dex: 14 Con: 12 Int: 14 Wis: 8 Cha: 17 (18 due to +1 cloak)
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Improved Toughness
Character concept has essentially been a singing archer. When diplomatic options fail, they rely on using songs and magic to improve their abilities in ranged combat as well as aiding their comrades in battle.

PrC's I've looked at so far include these:
War Chanter - not sure it really does what I'm looking for. Seems to take several levels to be really useful. The Combat Expertise required feat would be mostly wasted.
Havoc Mage - interesting, but would it give up some BAB progression. Being able to combine a spell + arrow shot into a single full round action could be very useful.
Order of the Bow Initiate - an obvious archer PrC, but I don't know that it is really the best for this particular character. Have no ranks in Craft to qualify yet either.
Fighter (ok, not a PrC, but bear with me) - looking at taking 4 levels, which would get access to martial weapons (long bow especially), and 3 bonus feats. The last of those feats would likely be Weapon Specialization(long bow).

What I'd like to find is something more akin to the Arcane Archer, but allowable for a human bard. Something that would allow them to channel their spells or even better, their songs into their bow attacks would be ideal. Any ideas?
With your statistics, I wouldn´t go a route that doesn´t improve spellcasting and/or bardic music. Your Dex isn´t that great for a pure archer, and most classes "ignore" your charisma based abilities and spells.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Kalendraf said:

You just gave me an idea for an awesome prestige class!

arscott

First Post
Kalendraf said:
Why not just ask your DM if you can take Arcane Archer as a human? The Racial Prerequisite is just for flavor.

diaglo

Adventurer
read the story hour in my sig.

the deep halfling bard in the story is an arcane archer. of course, he was a kobold arcane archer before the last reincarnation. ;)

Thanee

First Post
Sublime Chord [CA] is a good bard PrC to improve spellcasting (and with better spells you can make better bow attacks ;)).

Does Arcane Strike work with ranged attacks? I think not... hmm... that would be nice, tho.

Bye
Thanee

Klaus

First Post
+1 belt and +1 cloak?

Stat-boosting items are always even-numbered (+2 gauntlets of ogre power, +4 and +6 belts of giant strength, and +2/+4/+6 cloaks of charisma)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads