• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[PrC] The Deadeye

ArcOfCorinth

First Post
How broken does this appear to be?

The Deadeye

An arrow erupts from the shadows, striking a bewildered knight in the lower back. Waves of pain wash over him as he falls to his knees.

Where did this arrow come from and how did it pierce my armor? he thinks. As he watches, knight after knight drops from their horses. An unseen killer lashes out from the shadows, never missing his mark. The kneeling knight suddenly realizes the pain has passed. He’s gone numb; his life force is draining from the critical wound. His vision slowly fades and he falls face first into the dirt, never to rise again. He has fallen to a relentless, merciless foe: a Deadeye.

Hit Die: d8

Requirements
To qualify as a deadeye, a character must fulfill the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Hide 5 Ranks, Move Silently 5 Ranks, Spot 5 Ranks
Proficiency: Longbow or shortbow or composite longbow or composite shortbow.
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Weapon Focus (longbow or shortbow or the composite version of either)

Class Skills
The Deadeye's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (bowmaking)(Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), and Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str). See Chapter 4: Skills in the Player's Handbook for skill descriptions.
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: None.

Ranged Sneak Attack
Any time the deadeye's target would be denied his Dexterity bonus to AC (regardless of whether he has a Dexterity bonus), the deadeye's ranged sneak attack deals extra damage. The extra damage is +1d6 at 1st level, and +1d6 every two levels after that. Ranged attacks only count as sneak attacks if the target is within 30 feet. The deadeye cannot strike with such deadly accuracy beyond that range. In every other way, treat this ability as a rogue's sneak attack. If the character has the sneak attack ability as a rogue, the bonuses stack.
A deadeye can only sneak attack living creatures with discernible anatomies-undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Additionally, any creature immune to critical hits is similarly immune to sneak attacks. Also, the deadeye must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach a vital spot. The deadeye cannot sneak attack while striking at a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Close Combat Shot
At 2nd level, the deadeye can attack with a ranged weapon in a threatened area and not provoke an attack or opportunity.

Keen Arrows
At 2nd level, all projectiles the deadeye fires behave as if they were keen weapons in addition to any other properties they might possess. Thus, a normal arrow fired by a deadeye has a threat range of 19-20 instead of 20. This effect does not stack with any other keen effect.

Magic Weapon (Sp)
At the 4th level, the deadeye can produce an effect identical to that of a magic weapon spell cast by a cleric of deadeye level. This ability is usable once per day on projectile weapons only.

Legendary Shot
Starting at the 6th level, a deadeye may roll an attack on an opponent who qualifies for sneak attack damage. If the roll hits, treat it as a critical hit. This is a supernatural ability and can only be used once per day. This does not affect subjects immune to critical hits.

Banked Shot
This extraordinary ability allows the deadeye to fire an arrow at a target within 20 feet of a wall (but not adjacent to the wall) and treat the target as if flat-footed for purposes of AC and damage inflicted. This is a full-round action, since it is extremely difficult.

Ranged Disarm
At the 8th level, the deadeye can use ranged attacks to disarm opponents within 30 feet. Doing so doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender unless a normal ranged attack would. Regardless of the ranged weapon the deadeye is using, it counts as a one-handed, Medium-sized weapon for the opposed disarm check. The deadeye cannot lose his own weapon during such an attempt.

Death Attack
If the deadeye studies his victim for 3 rounds and then makes a ranged sneak attack that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the additional effect of possibly either paralyzing or killing the target (deadeye's choice). While studying the victim, the deadeye can undertake other actions so long as his attention stays focused on the target and the target does not detect the deadeye or recognize the deadeye as an enemy. If the victim of such an attack fails her Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + the deadeye's class level + Intelligence modifier) against the kill effect, she dies. If the saving throw fails against the paralysis effect, the victim's mind and body become enervated, rendering her completely helpless and unable to act for 1d6 rounds plus 1 round per level of the deadeye. If the victim's saving throw succeeds, the attack is just a normal sneak attack. Once the deadeye has completed the 3 rounds of study, he must make the death attack within 3 rounds. If a death attack is attempted and fails (the victim makes her save) or if the deadeye does not launch the attack within 3 rounds of completing the study, 3 new rounds of study are required before he can attempt another death attack.

True Strike (SP)
At the 10th level, the deadeye can produce an effect identical to that of a true strike spell cast by a cleric of his deadeye level. This ability is usable once per day on a projectile weapon only.

The Deadeye
Class Level Base Attack Fort Save Ref Save Will save Special
1 +1 +0 +2 +2 Ranged Sneak Attack +1d6
2 +2 +0 +3 +3 Close Combat Shot,Keen Arrows
3 +3 +1 +3 +3 Ranged Sneak Attack +2d6
4 +4 +1 +4 +4 Magic Weapon
5 +5 +1 +4 +4 Ranged Sneak Attack +3d6
6 +6 +2 +5 +5 Legendary Shot
7 +7 +2 +5 +5 Ranged Sneak Attack +4d6
8 +8 +2 +6 +6 Banked Shot, Ranged Disarm
9 +9 +3 +6 +6 Ranged Sneak Attack +5d6
10 +10 +3 +7 +7 Death Attack, True Strike

Last edited:

Mordane76

First Post
The only part about this PrC I'm not sure I like is the Death Attack ability. I know it comes in at 10th level, and I'm pretty sure it's meant to represent the "One Shot, One Kill" idea of a talented sniper/archer, but... I don't know.

Otherwise, I think the only other possible bonus of this class that might set off warning bells is the Close Combat Shot at second level.

ArcOfCorinth

First Post
The death attack being overpowered seems valid. I'm not sure what you mean by the Close Combat Shot though. This PrC gives it at the same level as the Order of the Bow Initiate does.

Mordane76

First Post
Are the pre-reqs for Order of the Bow Initiate similar to those for the Deadeye? I don't have a book in front of me right now. Prolly just a personal issue, but I'm always a little leery of taking the AoO out of ranged attacks vs. targets in melee range.

The Pope

First Post
I don't see what the problem is. This class takes some of the Order of the Bow Initiate, some of the Assassin and some of the Deepwood Sniper and mixes it. Call me a munchkin, but I, as the player of an archer, like it. Now if someone could explain to me how this class is intrinsically broken, and IF it is so, then maybe I'll change my mind.

Mordane76

First Post
Off the top of my head, I can't see anything that is intrinsically broken. Now, if an archer type tried to talk me into a fighter or ranger (archer type) with levels in Deadeye, Deepwood Sniper, Peerless Archer, and OoBI... I'd have to box his ears... :D

No -- I also like the class. I think I'd like to use it. I'm just worried about taking the Death Attack mechanic out of the Assassin, the keen effect out of the DWS, Close Combat Shot out of the OoBI, and adding a few other crunchy bits, wrapping it up in a nice idea, and then letting it fly to my players. I know that sounds harsh, but I just wanna make sure all the abilities makes sense to me for the concept I think the creator is trying to envince.

Rackhir

Explorer
Well, first off why does a class dedicated to sniping have an ability that lets them function better in close combat? Wouldn't it make more sense to give them an ability to move locations quickly to prevent them from being engaged in HTH.

Similarly, why is a sniper class built around a skill like sneak attacks when it forces them to get up close, which is generally the antithesis of sniping. Where the objective is to stay away from your target. I think the improved crit range/mulitplier + extended range on a DWS makes for a better one shot, one kill mechanisim. Perhaps you could give the class the ability to use "Hunter's Mercy" a spell that iirc guarentees a crit threat. I can't recall where it's from, maybe MotW?

Finally the combination of death shot with the banked shot ability makes me a bit uneasy, since it essentially guarentees that you can get it most of the time.

Basically, it seems to be a slightly enhanced version of OoBI, which seems unnecessary. If a player wants some of the abilities, just have him take levels in OoBI and DWS. Prestige class and Archer haters aside, there aren't any balance problems until perhaps you are maxing out both classes and then everyone is so obscenely powerful I don't think it matters much.

Remove ads