• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PRCS for a warmage?

Ditch

First Post
Although I haven't really tried combining the two, it looks like Warmage and Argent Savant would be doable. You'd probably need to use your Advanced Learning class ability to take a few more [force] spells to qualify. Oh, and you'd be like level 9 or 11th before you could take it... depending on the feats you took at 3,6,9.

Last edited:

Drowbane

First Post
Both the Havoc Mage (MHB) and Force Missile Mage (DCv1) would be cool for a War Mage.

War Weaver (Heroes of Battle) has potential... I'm not sure how many War Mage spells (not many) can be shared in an Eldritch Tapestry.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Drowbane said:
War Weaver (Heroes of Battle) has potential... I'm not sure how many War Mage spells (not many) can be shared in an Eldritch Tapestry.

War Weaver isn't really a good fit, as the Warmage is all about blasting.

As previously mentioned, Argent Savant works well with it, though there's mandatory multiclassing. A friend did a Clr 1/Pal 2/Wmg several to get into Argent Savant and it was quite nifty.

War Wizard of Cormyr, from Magic of Faerun, works pretty well, especially if you take a level of Arcane Devotee (from MoF and PGtF) first. A level or two of Spellsword, from CW, works pretty well for BAB and save boosts.

If you're in Eberron, you can take Prophesy's Shaper and auto-Empower many of your spells without increasing casting time.

Brad

Ditch

First Post
That's an interesting build. Why go Clr/Pal to get into Argent Savant though??

Argent Savant requires:
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks; Spellcraft 12 ranks
Spells: Able to cast at lease five spells with the force descriptor, at least one must be 5th level or higher

I'm not sure how cleric or paladin would help you meet these req's...

Andras

Explorer
I'm really likeing Exalted Arcanist from BoED. I played a WarMage earlier in our latest campaign, and I believe it would have worked well.

Question

First Post
Theres no point going into argent savant, its useful for a 3 level dip to extend mage armor and stuff, but not much else....there arent THAT many force damage spells.

Ditch

First Post
Magic Missile is a potent spell at any level and adding another +5 dmg above the bonus you get already for War Mage is pretty nuts for a 1st level spell. Assuming you have at least a 20 INT you'd do 5d4 +15 force damage for a 1st level spell! Yea, that's not worth taking at all. :confused:

A simple thanks for the suggestion would have done nicely. No need to infer that anyone's ideas are worthless. Noone said you had to take all 5 levels, or any levels for that matter. Sorry I wasted your time.

Question

First Post
I think someones over reacting.....

Currently the encounters in the campaign are fairly spaced, with lots of time to rest and heal up inbetween(so far at least). Thus i have no problems spamming the highest level spells i can cast...

Remove ads