• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pre-3.X D&D Icons

diaglo

Adventurer
Henry said:
HEY! Back off from my 106 Pregenerated NPC's built for your GM'ing Pleasure! :p

It wasn't exactly the best thing on the market, but I do remember it as among the first supplements I bought. (Mostly because it was one of the FEW RPG things available at the Circus World in those days.)

this is probably the only case where you will here me say that a 1edADnD supplement was better. Rogues Gallery. :eek:

edit: and to stay on topic. you will find some interesting iconics in the back of this helpful guide. ;)

Last edited:

AFGNCAAP

First Post
diaglo said:
this is probably the only case where you will here me say that a 1edADnD supplement was better. Rogues Gallery. :eek:

edit: and to stay on topic. you will find some interesting iconics in the back of this helpful guide. ;)

Not too long ago, I was able to pick up a well-worn copy of this source from a great little used book store (alas, said book store is no longer in business--I think they have sort of a presence on the Web somewhere, but the store is no more. :( ).

It was interesting to see these characters, especially some members of the Circle of Eight before they reached the really high levels. However, there are some characters in there which seem to have fallen by the wayside (from what I can tell) in Greyhawk--Luther the Monk, the Lizard-Man fighter, Riggby, etc.

I think the big impact on me during the early days of gaming was the visual aspect--mainly art from the books & the cartoon (I still can't help but think the fighter shown on the red box Basic set was Warduke :) ). I think that the pictures of Aleena & Bargle helped keep those characters in my memory. Then again, the Paladin in Hell, Emirikol the Chaotic, & other bits of art from 1st ed. AD&D still linger in my mind, as well. Thus, these things, for me, remain "icons" of D&D, just as the 3.X D&D "iconic" characters are intended to be for the new game.

Voadam

Legend
JeffB said:
Yeah the Moldvay Iconics are what I remember best, but anyone remember these and where they came from? :D

Presto The Elf
Luven Lightfingers
Kay En' Telva (sp)
Phanstern
Gleep Wurp
Blodgett (easy)

Slavers!!!!

Phanstern is an illusionist, Blodgett is a halfling thief.
Kay en'Telva sounds familiar but the spelling does look off somehow, was she a half elf multiclass? Did they really have a Presto? maybe I blocked him. I also remember the bearded female dwarf fighter Freda.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Wraith Form said:
ZOIKS! Either you have an amazing memory, or you have the book open right in front of you, *or* you have waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands.

a little of each. ;)

Henry

Autoexreginated
diaglo said:

I was turned off by Rogues' Gallery, because the rows of NPC stats in a tight matrix was as dry as Dust to me (the Plane, not the stuff). However, I enjoyed the stats in the back of folks like Lassiviren the Dark, Luther the Monk, Phoebus the Reincarnated Lizard Man fighter, etc. The thing that turned me off a bit was that most of the stats in that book (according to Gary, I think) were genn'ed up just for the book - they have little to nothing to do with the actual PC's at the time.

One question - anyone know what the name of the Rogues' Gallery Fighter in the back who started out as a ranger, but lost his status because of an alignment change? I want to say Robilar, but I'm probably wrong...

Norfleet

First Post
Henry said:
I still wanna know why on God's Green Oerth a 6th level fighter was adventuring with a 1st level monk. :)
That's easy: You've noticed that one character doesn't fit the group, yes? This can be quickly explained: There *WAS* a character who DID fit the group's levels, but, obviously, he died. The player, not being high enough level for raise dead, was forced to break out the dice and a new character sheet.

Why the monk, becomes a subject for debate: Was it because the player rolled poor stats, and therefore had a character with a deathwish, or because he had really GOOD stats, so could hack it as a monk and survive to reach the higher levels? That, we don't know.

jrients

First Post
I finally remembered to dig up my Little Beige Books. Here, friends, is the original D&D iconic, as far as I can tell he is the only named character in the original D&D boxed set.

Name: Xylarthen
Class: Magic-User
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 11
Wisdom:13
Constitution: 12
Dexterity: 9
Charisma: 8
Gold Pieces: 70
Experience: Nil

Gotta love those stats, 3d6, in order, no fooling around!

Remove ads