• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pre-order The CYPHER SYSTEM Core Rulebook

The Cypher System is the rules-lite system which powers Monte Cook Games' Numenera and The Strange. The core rulebook is designed to present the game engine separately as a generic system able to handle sci-fi, fantasy, supers, and more. It's pitched as a toolkit to build the game you want, along with tons of additional descriptors, foci, types, creatures, cyphers, and artifacts for existing Numenera or The Strange players. You can pre-order the 416-page hardcover which releases in August for $59.99. (thanks to Dahak for the scoop)

The Cypher System is the rules-lite system which powers Monte Cook Games' Numenera and The Strange. The core rulebook is designed to present the game engine separately as a generic system able to handle sci-fi, fantasy, supers, and more. It's pitched as a toolkit to build the game you want, along with tons of additional descriptors, foci, types, creatures, cyphers, and artifacts for existing Numenera or The Strange players. You can pre-order the 416-page hardcover which releases in August for $59.99. (thanks to Dahak for the scoop)

Preorder it here.

A Cypher System campaign of Victorian horror? High fantasy? Espionage? Galaxy-spanning space opera? With the Cypher System Rulebook, running any of those is as easy as running or playing The Strange or Numenera . Take the Cypher System to the limits of your imagination with this hefty rulebook that extends the system to fantasy, science-fiction, horror, modern-day, and superhero settings—or any setting you can imagine!

The Cypher System Rulebook adapts the Cypher System—the critically acclaimed, award-winning rules set that drives Numenera and The Strange—to an unlimited range of campaigns and genres, giving you the complete rules set (along with dozens of optional and genre-specific rules) and hundreds of character options, creatures, cyphers, and other resources. It’s everything you need to play virtually any game using the Cypher System rules.

If you’re already a fan of Numenera and/or The Strange, you’ll find new descriptors, foci, types, creatures, cyphers, and artifacts you can use in your campaign the minute you crack open the book. Many of the optional genre rules will benefit your campaign as well. There are pages and pages of content you can make use of in your existing game, even if you never take the Cypher System into another genre!

The Cypher System Rulebook gives you 416 pages of character options, equipment, game rules, special coverage of key genres, creatures, NPCs, and cyphers.

• Complete game rules
• Genre-specific rules and advice for fantasy games, modern games, science-fiction games, horror, and superheroes
• Systems for issues such as vehicle combat, crafting, and insight, among others
• Four new character types, each customizable to the needs of your setting
• Over 50 descriptors and 70 foci
• Loads of equipment and hundreds of cyphers and artifacts
• Nearly 70 creatures and NPCs
• Great GM advice on adapting the Cypher System to a variety of settings, and on running a fun, engaging, fast-paced, easy-to-GM game sessions

Start a new campaign set in a fantasy land of elves and fae creatures, a science fiction setting spanning the galaxy, or a modern slasher horror game—or add scads of new options to your Numenera or The Strange campaign. The Cypher System Rulebook gives you everything you need to run the game you want to play using the critically acclaimed, award-winning, and just plain fun to play Cypher System!

Cover-Mockup-2015-04-08-Opt2c-389x500.jpg

Evenglare

Adventurer
I'll conceed that. I completely apologize. The pet stats being like PC stats HAVE only been for the past 15 or so years. My mistake.

Aldarc

Legend
Intriguing, but sounds like it might not be an ideal choice for GMs who like to roll dice too.
Probably not, but it comes with a lot of other advantages. It's easy to use. Easy to improvise encounters on the fly. It alleviates a lot of the adversarial relationship between the players and the GM. And it's great for the GM who emphasizes narrative.

Von Ether

Legend
I'll conceed that. I completely apologize. The pet stats being like PC stats HAVE only been for the past 15 or so years. My mistake.

Less than. 4e turned back the clock and then some with "templates" like brutes and solos depending on the purpose of the critter relevant to the counter. Like in many things, 5e is a bit of both and simpler in some regards.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
I pre-ordered it. I wish there had been more of a perk than just the PDF (you dont even get it early).
But I am super interested in seeing what they did with Supers, as apparently those "break" the normal way of building characters.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
Is the PDF not automatically available to print purchasers?

Unfortunately not at this time. My guess is like many other things in the MCG store, is once you get the email from them that the book is shipping, you will be able to go into the MCG store with your account and apply a code, and then download it at no charge.

Otherwise I would be telling you guys all about it!

I pre-ordered it as soon as it went up.

Here is the exact text you get:

Thank you for your pre-order!
We anticipate delivering your pre-order in August 2015. As soon as it’s ready,
you’ll receive an email from Monte Cook Games letting you know your copy is
available for download!
In the meantime, to be sure you don’t miss the email notification, be sure
your email client doesn’t send MCG emails to your spam.
If you miss the email for any reason, simply check your account at
the Monte Cook Games web store at any time after the game’s
release and download it from there!

The most ironic part is that this message is in a PDF that you download called CSR-Preorder-MCG-abunchofnumbersandletters.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Dracones

First Post
*ears perk up*

Interesting.

They have 3 levels of licensing. Fan use which covers websites, forums and blogs. A $100 limited license if you want to sell/give away PDF supplements and expect less than 2k in profits from it. Then a full license that goes beyond that and appears to let you re-print the core rules so you have a stand alone product.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads