• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pre-published or self-written modules?

How frequently do you run a pre-published adventure module versus a self-written one?

karlindel

First Post
Currently, I mostly run my own stuff. I run a 4e home campaign that just hit epic levels, and I prefer to tailor things to my PCs. Also, plotlines from earlier in the campaign are coming to fruition and the PCs are learning more about what the big movers and shakers are up to. Earlier in the campaign, I used a few pre-published adventures, refluffed to various degrees.

That said, I do borrow heavily from published materials (for example, I used a lot of Ptolus for the capital city of the kingdom, and the PCs are now traveling to an oriental empire that I am using Legend of the Five Rings material to populate). I also use a lot of the 4e cosmology from its supplements.

I haven't been a DM since 2E days, but from what I remember, it was about 80% 'written by me' and 20% pre-published. And even the stuff I wrote, I hijacked from all over the place... books, tv, movies. One thing I did off and on was 'retool' pre-published adventures for different levels/campaigns... for example, I sorta/kinda rewrote the G giant series modules into a R 'Against the reptiles' adventures, having a secret hidden group unite various reptile critters (lizardmen, trogs, etc.) against the nearby humans, and the PCs took them out one by one. Of course, back in those days, I was also writing for Dungeon, and I used my group as playtesters... :)

I use most of my own stuff, but run modules once in a while for a variety of reasons. Primarily I use them when I need a break from prep (however reading the module enough times to get it before you run it is still time consuming). I also think they are helpful resources for maps, npcs, setting material etc. I probably read way more modules than I run, and I think this is because I like seeing how other people approach adventure design.

delericho

Legend
I mostly write my own adventures, but make heavy use of pregenerated adventures as "idea mines".

For the most part, our game sessions run a little too short, and are a little too infrequent, for us to get a really satisfying experience with pregenerated adventures - things progress just a bit too slowly for our taste.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I'm running three full campaigns right now, plus occasional games at my local store and the possibility of some new players wanting to start a campaign. Thus, I run mostly pre-published material.

My first campaign was Keep on the Shadowfell, but that game didn't last long.

My next campaign was my Friday night online game, where I'm running War of the Burning Sky. Nine months in, still going strong.

My next campaign was my taking over DM duties for my in-person campaign with my wife and friends. I decided I wanted to go the home-brew route for that one, and so far I have, but I came THIS CLOSE last week to saying, "Screw it, I'm going to run something pre-published." But then we had an awesome session on Saturday with my home-brew stuff, so I'm going to stick with it a while longer.

I also started running a campaign for my wife, her brother, and his wife, mostly online (the brother and his wife live in Texas while we're in Colorado). I ran them through some Living Forgotten Realms adventures that I had prepared while they were visiting over Christmas, then started running Reavers of Harkenwold online. We just finished that a week and a half ago, and I'm planning to move on to the adventure from the Monster Vault next.

So, two of my three campaigns are all pre-published while one is all home-brew. Whew. That's a lot of DMing!

I have bought many a published adventure and have rarely actually ran one. As in... Ever?? Sometimes books have good source material for the adventure and I have them present, but they are not prepared modules to go.

I do like to buy them though, I'm looking at Rogue Trader right now, and it has many premade adventures that actually look like tons of fun to run.

baradtgnome

First Post
I add written modules in my campaign here and there. If I find them well done and fit the world and need at the time, why not. (there is a village called Hommlett in my world - go figure)

Most often, it is my own material for a number of reasons. I'll echo many of the posts here; I am accustomed to my own style and pace, I know what I want, I have ideas that are clawing there way and it will leave a scar if I ignore them.

Oddly enough though, the time saved by not writing the adventure is mostly consumed by reading and absorbing the adventure. I find if I write it, it sticks in my brain better and I don't have to resort to looking things up as often. So the time saving argument does not work very well with me. YMMV.

Jhaelen

First Post
Oddly enough though, the time saved by not writing the adventure is mostly consumed by reading and absorbing the adventure. I find if I write it, it sticks in my brain better and I don't have to resort to looking things up as often. So the time saving argument does not work very well with me. YMMV.
Very true, especially if you have long breaks between sessions.

Another of the biggest advantages of writing adventures yourself: You know the reasoning behind everything! If you have to wing it because the players are doing something unexpected (and don't they do that all the time?), it's very easy to do. With published scenarios this can be difficult unless you've put a lot of additional thought into it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads